View Full Version : Your favorite netflix series

Merci Alizée
05-03-2018, 06:26 AM
What are you watching these days?

What did you like, recommendations?

CleverCowboy
05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
OK, I'll bite first.

Before I list a few, I do want to say that gone are the days when explosions, violence, and steamy sex scenes are enough to keep me watching a program when the storyline is predictable and awful. If the producers of the show do not spend the time developing an intriguing and original story with meaningful dialogue, then I won't spend my valuable time watching their trash. I also detest programs that promote an obvious agenda. I have found myself liking programs and movies that are based on true stories or history.

A few recent ones that I have found to be very good.

The Crown - A series on British royalty that centers around Queen Elizabeth II. The span of time it covers is from WWII to modern days.
13 Reasons Why - A controversial series on a young woman who takes her own life. Probably most people have seen this already though.
Alias Grace - This is a mini-series based on a true story of a domestic servant accused and convicted of murdering her employer. This occurred in 1843. Engaging story.
Master of None - A very funny comedy series with Aziz Ansari.

Ray4AJ
05-04-2018, 06:17 AM
I didn't want to ignore the thread but I don't subscribe to any streaming services. Most programs seem to depress me so I watch very little aside from wildlife and nature documentaries and even that's not often.

Merci Alizée
05-04-2018, 06:56 AM
I didn't want to ignore the thread but I don't subscribe to any streaming services. Most programs seem to depress me so I watch very little aside from wildlife and nature documentaries and even that's not often.

Even I didn't watch much anything on computer or TV. Last year I subscribed to hotstar to watch Game of thrones and since then started using Amazon prime and netflix.

Now since I am not going out much for movies, I find series easier to follow. Watch it for half and hour and go back to work - that's what I do now.

Fall
05-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Great idea for a thread!

Some of these are Netflix originals, some are/were on Netflix when I watched them :

Narcos

The Last Kingdom

Nazi Mega Weapons

Fleming - The Man Who Would Be Bond

Space Race

A Young Doctor's Notebook

The World's War (highly recommend this one)

World War II In Colour

The I.T. Crowd

Oliver Stone's Untold History Of The United States

Our World War

Master Of None

Ken Burns' The Civil War

Marvel's Agents Of Shield

Stranger Things

Turn: Washington's Spies

Daredevil

Punisher

Edit - I'm assuming we're only talking about series and not including films?

comjoz
07-17-2018, 01:05 AM
... Most programs seem to depress me so I watch very little aside from wildlife and nature documentaries ...

You remind me of a friend of mine who dumped a TV out of his home because of the same reason, he said all that TV daily stuff (or literally daily "shit" as he call it) he used to watch made him depressed. And he started to feel much better when he dumped his TV and made a habit to take walking tours and took some vitamins.

I don't watch much of a new stuff on TV, rather I watch some old stuff I liked in the past regardless of whether I watched them several times so far. Thus I re-watch eg Star Trek TNG and Voyager, Monk, and some documentary perhaps.

CleverCowboy
07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
You remind me of a friend of mine who dumped a TV out of his home because of the same reason, he said all that TV daily stuff (or literally daily "shit" as he call it) he used to watch made him depressed. And he started to feel much better when he dumped his TV and made a habit to take walking tours and took some vitamins.

I don't watch much of a new stuff on TV, rather I watch some old stuff I liked in the past regardless of whether I watched them several times so far. Thus I re-watch eg Star Trek TNG and Voyager, Monk, and some documentary perhaps.

The daily TV stuff is basically awful. The comedies are unbearable. If they are filmed before a studio audience, they must be heavily drugged to laugh at anything.

There was one program called "This is Us" which actually had a good story and a clever way of telling it. But after the first season or so, the creativity ran out and became boring.

The documentaries and docu-series on Netflix are the things I usually watch, or movies based on a true story. Movies based on best selling novels can be quite good at times.

comjoz
07-17-2018, 06:36 PM
... The comedies are unbearable. If they are filmed before a studio audience, they must be heavily drugged to laugh at anything.

haha, yeah, exactly, I also often have the same feeling. Now, since I'm not American, I suppose because of cultural differences it may be that American humor is not much close and understandable to me, but if even you say it's not funny then I can just imagine how it is to Americans in general. Actually I often find British humor much more close and appealing. Most often when I see in the TV schedule that some movie is designated as a "comedy" I skip that because I know most likely I'll fall asleep in front of a TV.
The documentaries are often a much better choice than so-called "comedies".

Ray4AJ
07-17-2018, 06:41 PM
Last night I watched this on Amazon Video. Tonight I'll watch volume 2!

The description hypes it up quite a bit. I found it interesting but it can be technical and is made from old video and poorly edited. #learning

https://i.imgur.com/SkxlbuK.png

comjoz
07-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Ray is a fan of documentaries. ;)

Ray4AJ
07-17-2018, 06:56 PM
I see enough silly people during the day. I don't need to see any more in the evening.