PDA

View Full Version : French TV or Radio

Matrix
11-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Can someone provide links to french television or live radio? I would be interested in watching some french TV

HibyPrime
11-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Move to where I live, and then turn the TV to channel 12, 13 or 66

Matrix
11-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Are you saying I have to subscribe to french cable tv to watch? lol :eek:

I want to watch french TV to see if it is true that forty percent of all english words come from the french language.

Twitch
11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
Just google it, I did and found a bunch of free streamed internet TV channels, but I don't bother with internet TV because half of the channels I get now are French. I found stuff like this when I google it but the ones I checked didn't have anything I wanted to watch...

http://beelinetv.com/
http://www.multilingualbooks.com/online-tv-french.html

PS: For some of them it didn't automatically open my media player I had to copy the URL in my browsers address bar and paste it in the open URL in my media player.

EDIT: This had some crazy stuff on it LOL TV (mms://live300.impek.tv/loltv) when I tunned in I saw a bunch of household appliances trying to kill each other while fighting over a beer, it started with a vacuum stealing it out of the fridge to get jumped by a washing machine and it continued until the whole place got trashed...not to mention QashQai car games (craziest car stunts I've seen), or the speed control bikini bandits... Probably won't help your French but great for some laughs.

garçoncanadien
12-01-2006, 06:08 AM
www.tv5.org

click on "L'actualité mondiale" then click on any of the three big pictures at the top of the screen.

www.tf1.fr is also good

atra201
12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Move to where I live, and then turn the TV to channel 12, 13 or 66
and where do you live?
Are you saying I have to subscribe to french cable tv to watch? lol :eek:

I want to watch french TV to see if it is true that forty percent of all english words come from the french language.
you don't have to listen to a french dialog it is written in any English dictionary that some english words are french.

atra201
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
www.tv5.org

click on "L'actualité mondiale" then click on any of the three big pictures at the top of the screen.

www.tf1.fr is also good

thanks i was looking for that tv5 stream

Matrix
12-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Merci for the links. :)

spysmasher
12-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Hmm. As a Latin teacher, I have always heard that more than 60% of the words in English come from Latin. If 40% come from French, that would, at first glance, seem to cover every English word out there! In fact, though, there’s a big overlap, since many of those French words came from the Latin. That is to say, many words came into English from Latin … by way of French. So here’s one case where 40 + 60 does not equal 100!

CFHollister
12-01-2006, 06:26 PM
And I've heard that 80% of english word are derived from Latin and Greek combined. Any words that came into English via any romance language, in my opinion really originate in Latin. The romance language would just be a carrier, imparting its own flavor of course.

aFrenchie
12-01-2006, 06:54 PM
Examples at Wiki:
Words (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin)
Phrases (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_phrases_used_by_English_speakers)

garçoncanadien
12-01-2006, 07:38 PM
also, be aware that it is fashionable in France to insert English into French, so French is becoming anglicized in Paris ;)

aFrenchie
12-01-2006, 07:59 PM
also, be aware that it is fashionable in France to insert English into French, so French is becoming anglicized in Paris ;)
Yes, but if most of those words already come from French? :D
(and it's not on a comparable scale btw, it won't reach 40% of the language now ;))

garçoncanadien
12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
OUAISSS ;) parce que les 40 immortelles vont stopper cela

spysmasher
12-01-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been thinking about that 40% figure because it surprised me at first. I know that some words passed from Medieval Latin into what is called Old French and thence to Old or Middle English. Consequently, I suspect that 40% figure includes those words from Old French and not just Modern French. Now, how much Modern French differs from Old French I don't know -- I'm not an expert on the French language. Just as a point of comparison, though, Old or Middle English sounds pretty weird to a Modern English speaker, but it is not utterly undecipherable. Anyway, my point is that if the Modern French you hear on TV does not sound like the source of 40% of our English words, that's because it is not: that 40% no doubt includes words coming from the Old French which would sound a bit different from the Modern French (though how different, I don't know).

Another point that occurred to me has already been mentioned by garçoncanadien: namely, that some English words have found their way into Modern French. So, when you hear English-sounding words on French TV, it may actually be an English word that has been adopted by the French rather than the French source of an English word.

With all that being said, I, for one, would be interested in hearing your impressions on the subject, Matrix, after you've watched some French TV. I hope you'll share them with us.

aFrenchie
12-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Anyway, my point is that if the Modern French you hear on TV does not sound like the source of 40% of our English words, that's because it is not: that 40% no doubt includes words coming from the Old French which would sound a bit different from the Modern French (though how different, I don't know).With all that being said, I, for one, would be interested in hearing your impressions on the subject, Matrix, after you've watched some French TV. I hope you'll share them with us.
You should consider that identic words won't be pronounced the same in both languages, at all! So Matrix won't be able to recognize them anyway :). Or maybe with the exception of the English words borrowed by French (we generally keep, more or less!, the English pronunciation of modern words). So he will hear those only ;).

Twitch
12-02-2006, 03:01 PM
They left dandelion off the list. One I figured out when reading a French book and they were reffered to as "dent-de-lion".(lion's teeth in reference to the shape of the leaves). Before I always knew them as "pissenlit"(piss in bed) in French, taken from the plants diuretic properties, so never made the connection. Ironically though the history of the word dandelion is included in the wiki article on dandelions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion)

But English has adopted words from all kinds of languages, probably more so than most other languages.

And as for old French, well more of it has survived here in Canada, being that French was standardized to the King's French (technically not Old French but very early modern French) when the settlers arrived here in the early 1600's out of the necessity to communicate. It was only standardized much later in France, and after the revolution the King's French was dropped in favour of others which is one of the reasons for the differences between le québecois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French) and international French(for a while French was being standardized to the interantional standards but in Québec they have started promoting and preserving the uniqueness of le français québécois again). If you want even older pronunciation's though look up the Acadian French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_French) or Cajun French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_French).

HibyPrime
12-02-2006, 04:26 PM
English comes from mostly german, latin, and french... Where does french come from? Mostly latin.. Keep in mind that france and germany are right beside each other and many words transfer back and forth between them, I'm suprised english and french are not identical.

Heres an example (amung thousands)

Magna Carta - latin

méga carte - french
mega card - english
mega carta - italian
mega carta - spanish
mega carta - portugese

Note that the meaning of "mega card" is not the same as magna carta, the word hasn't changed much, but the meaning has.. It's difficult to explain

carapus
12-02-2006, 04:32 PM
french radio :) http://alizee.ru/radio.html

spysmasher
12-02-2006, 10:45 PM
You should consider that identic words won't be pronounced the same in both languages, at all! So Matrix won't be able to recognize them anyway :). Or maybe with the exception of the English words borrowed by French (we generally keep, more or less!, the English pronunciation of modern words). So he will hear those only ;).

Good point. I didn't realize Alizée was saying "dynamite" in J.B.G. until I read the (French) lyrics! :)