PDA

View Full Version : Article about Corsican language facing extinction with a Nathalie Lanfranchi's photo

Scruffydog777
07-01-2018, 03:25 PM
This post on FB by Nathalie Lanfranchi was shared by Lanfranchi Blanche Jean Baptiste. Nathalie has her own FB page and shares a page with Blanche and Jean Baptiste. Blanche runs the Chez Paulo restaurant in Ajaccio with the help of her son Jean Baptiste.

Nathalie we've seen sing with Alizee in Ajaccio, but it looks like from a caption in this article that she is a teacher/professor.

The article was posted in Couririer international. "Courrier International is a Paris-based French weekly newspaper which translates and publishes excerpts of articles from over 900 international newspapers." It speaks about how the Corsican language is in danger of becoming extinct because if I read this right, though they are taught it in school, they don't get to use it in real life.

Sje says about the picture "Ainsi commence ma carrière de mannequin internationa" which means 'So start my international model career', which I guess refers to the fact that her picture was used in this article.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Blanche and Jean Baptiste. I'd love to see Nathalie sing at one of the events in Ajaccio. I'm still toying with the idea of going there in September.

Here is a link to the article;
https://www.courrierinternational.com/article/le-corse-une-langue-en-voie-dextinction?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&Echobox=1530262123

and here is a translation of what the article has to say.
"Between Mount Cinto, which rises to 2,700 meters above sea level and Lake Calacuccia, Jean-Yves Acquaviva cultivates chestnuts and raises sheep. In his village of Lozzi, most of the 60 permanent inhabitants speak Corsican. But we must not trust appearances, he says. When it was time to enroll his son in school, out of 50 children, he was the only one to have learned the language at home. Others will learn the basics at school, but most will never master it.
"People think that their children will learn Corsican at school with three hours of instruction per week. But there is no society where one learns one's language only at school, "says the author of two novels and many poems and lyrics written in Corsican. The writer has no illusions: "Corsican is in the process of extinction for thirty years. Yes, he is not about to disappear, but it will happen. "
Just a quarter of young people speak Corsican
Yet this writer born in Brittany to a Corsican military father and whose grandmother knew only a few words of French did not learn this"

Nathalie Lanfranchi and Alizée performing in Ajaccio, singing in the Corsican language. This video has English, Corsican and French subtitles thanks to Ray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkzf00TLNZ0

Here's where she's singing part of the same song with Patrick Fiori during the SAGA tv show. Looks like it means a lot to her. She also speaks of how her grandparents spoke Corsican and her parents didn't and she mentions that she loved going to her guitar lessons because many songs in Corsican were sung there and it implies this helped her learn the Corsican language.

https://youtu.be/AWjujVh399Q?t=596