PDA

View Full Version : Corsica in Literature

Bamagirl
02-25-2019, 01:12 PM
I am a fan of Agatha Christie's novels and stories, and I was interested to notice recently, as I was re-reading one of her short stories, that it is set in Corsica--both in Ajaccio and Coti Chiaveeri.

One of the characters describes Ajaccio as "Le plus beau port du monde!" and as they drive up a precipice and look down, one of the characters says "...Ajaccio sparkled in the sun, white, like a fairy city."

Coti Chiaveeri, which is situated very high, is described as "...a tiny village, with half a dozen stone cottages." One of the characters calls it "The World's End," which is the title of the story.

The descriptions of these places are so compelling it makes one feel they can actually picture the breathtaking views.

Agatha Christie traveled a lot in her life, and I imagine she must have visited Ajaccio and Coti Chiaveeri to describe them so well. This story was published in about 1927 (depending on what source you reference.)

Scruffydog777
02-25-2019, 01:25 PM
That's a great find. It looks like that town is across the bay, about 10 miles from Ajaccio. I think that would give them a nice view of Ajaccio and the Les Sanguinaires (Blood Islands).

Bamagirl
02-25-2019, 07:32 PM
That's a great find. It looks like that town is across the bay, about 10 miles from Ajaccio. I think that would give them a nice view of Ajaccio and the Les Sanguinaires (Blood Islands).

Thanks for posting the map—that’s very interesting to see. I can imagine the view must be wonderful. In the story, the characters are driving up, up, up on winding roads. It gets colder as they drive and begins to snow. It really makes you feel like you are there.

Scruffydog777
02-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Here's a picture of the cover and also a description of the short story 'World's End' from that book from Wikipedia.

"The World's End
Mr Satterthwaite is in Corsica with the Duchess of Leith, a strong and generous woman who can be miserly on the small expenses. At their first meal, the duchess spots Naomi Carlton Smith, a young artist who is a cousin to her. She was involved with a young writer who, the year before, was accused of stealing jewellery and imprisoned. Mr Satterthwaite likes her art, and buys a drawing from her. The three arrange a picnic for the next day with a fourth person, Mr Tomlinson, who has a car. At the appointed time they drive up into the mountains and eventually stop where the road finishes at an isolated coastal village of the name of Coti-Chiavari, which Naomi Smith terms "the World's End". There, Satterthwaite is delighted to see Mr Quin sitting on a boulder and looking out to sea. He has a feeling that Quin has turned up "in the nick of time". The group has brought a picnic with them, but as it is starting to snow they find a rough stone shelter wherein they find three other visitors from England: Vyse, the theatrical producer, Rosina Nunn the famous actress and her husband, Mr Judd. They are also enjoying a picnic and the two parties settle down to eat.

During the conversation that ensues, Miss Nunn admits to her constant habit of being absentminded and the occasion she lost her opal to a thief. The thief was Alec Gerard, a young playwright, who took it from her when she showed it to him at the theatre. Although the jewel was not found on him, he was unable to satisfactorily account for a large sum of money that appeared in his bank account the next day. Mr Quin comes to the shelter to keep Miss Smith part of the group; he will not let her wander off alone. Miss Nunn has cause to empty her bag; from it comes a wooden box that Mr Tomlinson recognises as an Indian Box. Realising that no one knows the true nature of such an item, Tomlinson shows the group how the box contains a secret compartment and the movements to both hide and recover a small item. They are all startled when the missing opal falls from the box. Miss Nunn understands immediately that she must undo the wrong done to Gerard. With her lover vindicated, Naomi Smith is relieved, and no longer threatens to kill herself. Satterthwaite and Quin again bid each other goodbye at the cliff's edge."

Bamagirl
02-26-2019, 08:18 AM
Here's a picture of the cover and also a description of the short story 'World's End' from that book from Wikipedia.

I have a book called Agatha Christie A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff & Stephen Poole, published in 2004 in Great Britain by Aurum Press, Ltd of 25 Bedford Ave,. London, WC1B 3 AT. They mention the edition and cover picture you posted about, calling it: "The First UK edition dust-wrapper of The Mysterious Mr. Quin, one of the most beautiful with its pale subtle shades of blue and yellow. The typeface used for the title and author's name on the rear cover is Broadway, which was created in America in 1929 by M. F. Benton." (60).

Scruffydog777
02-26-2019, 03:20 PM
I have a book called Agatha Christie A Reader's Companion by Vanessa Wagstaff & Stephen Poole, published in 2004 in Great Britain by Aurum Press, Ltd of 25 Bedford Ave,. London, WC1B 3 AT. They mention the edition and cover picture you posted about, calling it: "The First UK edition dust-wrapper of The Mysterious Mr. Quin, one of the most beautiful with its pale subtle shades of blue and yellow. The typeface used for the title and author's name on the rear cover is Broadway, which was created in America in 1929 by M. F. Benton." (60).

That book sounds like it might be worth some money. Now you mentioned at some point you spent some time in the UK, did you ever get her autograph?

I just looked at Amazon and I was going to buy the book, but I found the short story within it 'World's End' can be purchased by itself, so I did order it.

Bamagirl
02-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Scruffy,
For some reason I can't quote your message in my reply. The story "The World's End" is one of a series of stories that feature a mysterious character called Harley Quin. Agatha Christie didn't write too many stories with this character, and no-one knows why. I think the stories are very good. I'll be interested to know what you think of the story.
Agatha Christie wrote many books and stories set in England, of course, but she also set her stories in other places--like the Middle East. Her second husband was a very successful archaeologist, and she traveled with him and often set her books in some of the places he excavated.
Anyway, yes--I did live in England. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Agatha Christie. That would have been wonderful, though! I'd love to have an autographed copy of one of her books, but I'll bet they cost a fortune.
I did get to see her play "The Mousetrap" while I was living there. It is the longest continually running play in history. It opened in the West End of London in 1952 and as far as I know is still running today.

Scruffydog777
02-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Are you trying to quote with your phone or your computer?

CleverCowboy
02-28-2019, 07:28 AM
The story "The World's End" is one of a series of stories that feature a mysterious character called Harley Quin.

I cannot read that name without thinking of Harlequin, as in the romance novels. :D

Bamagirl
02-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Are you trying to quote with your phone or your computer?

Both. My phone didn’t work so I went on the computer to try. But it’s working now. I guess it was just a site glitch. Let’s blane it on the spammers!

Edit:

I cannot read that name without thinking of Harlequin, as in the romance novels. :D

CleverCowboy, good catch! Agatha Christie was fascinated by the Italian “Commedia dell’arte” which included the characters Harlequin, Columbine and Pierrot. They are mentioned in several of her books and stories. “Harley Quin” is a play on words from that name.