PDA

View Full Version : "One day I ache"....not today!

Scruffydog777
09-14-2019, 09:23 AM
"One day I'm gone"....not today....."One day I ache"......not today!
I was on my way home from work today when I came to a 4 way intersection with a stop sign each 'way'. The car coming from my right either didn't see his stop sign or chose to ignore it. If he hadn't cut hard right at the last second, I probably would have T boned him and it would not have been a Youpidou day! I had to mute a couple of segments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15afdqzRl77bTEKptlIWOtRDUY844nbNU/view?usp=sharing

Aragorn97
09-14-2019, 09:07 PM
I had never seen an intersection with 4 stops. How do you know who has the right of way?

Bamagirl
09-14-2019, 10:07 PM
"One day I'm gone"....not today....."One day I ache"......not today!
I was on my way home from work today when I came to a 4 way intersection with a stop sign each 'way'. The car coming from my right either didn't see his stop sign or chose to ignore it. If he hadn't cut hard right at the last second, I probably would have T boned him and it would not have been a Youpidou day! I had to mute a couple of segments.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15afdqzRl77bTEKptlIWOtRDUY844nbNU/view?usp=sharing

Oh wow! That was pretty scary to watch. I’m glad you are ok...and the music didn’t have to miss a beat!

Edit:

I had never seen an intersection with 4 stops. How do you know who has the right of way?

In the US it is called a “4 way stop.” Everyone must come to a complete stop. If there are two cars, the first one who arrived goes first. When there are 3 cars, the person on the right goes first. After that it can get a little complicated. I started to type out all the rules I could think of, then I thought maybe it would be more accurate and easier for you if I give you this link.
https://www.topdriver.com/education-blog/4-rules-4-way-stops/

Fall
09-15-2019, 01:08 AM
These days on top of being a responsible driver, you have to be on the lookout for drivers like this :noway:

Glad you're ok Scruffy

Aragorn97
09-15-2019, 05:21 AM
In the US it is called a “4 way stop.” Everyone must come to a complete stop. If there are two cars, the first one who arrived goes first. When there are 3 cars, the person on the right goes first. After that it can get a little complicated. I started to type out all the rules I could think of, then I thought maybe it would be more accurate and easier for you if I give you this link.
https://www.topdriver.com/education-blog/4-rules-4-way-stops/

I see. It is fun that if there are 4 cars, the rule is "wait for the most aggressive driver to pass". :)) Thanks for the info

Silencio
09-15-2019, 06:36 AM
I wonder why such "4 way stops" exist at all. If it is expensive to put a traffic light there, then maybe it would be better to assign a primary and a secondary road placing yield signs on the latter.

Bamagirl
09-15-2019, 08:53 AM
I wonder why such "4 way stops" exist at all. If it is expensive to put a traffic light there, then maybe it would be better to assign a primary and a secondary road placing yield signs on the latter.

Usually the intersections with 4 way stops are not too busy, but busy enough that the wait could be very long for the people who have to yield if one road always had the right of way. However, a busy intersection with a 4 way stop can get very backed up. Once an intersection starts getting heavier traffic, they often put in a light. In my town, they are putting a lot of roundabouts in intersections that previously had only stop signs. I think that will help a lot with traffic flow.

Silencio
09-15-2019, 09:51 AM
I got it, thanks.

Scruffydog777
09-15-2019, 01:22 PM
This is a Parkway on a reservation in the city of Boston and for that reason, I think there is a reluctance to put traffic lights here, but as the city grows, traffic has grown worse and worse and I'm sure they will have to put a traffic light there in the near future.

There are people like this who will try and zip right through without stopping. Being aware of that, I saw this guy coming and instead of making the kind of stop I should have made, I did a very quick stop and go and it surprised the hell out of this guy.

Even though there's no shortage of guys who run these stop signs, the biggest problem is people who are talking on their phones or texting because when traffic is heavy, you'll have 3 or 4 cars coming up at roughly the same time and it's important you keep track of who got there first and if someone doesn't go when it's their turn to go because they are communicating with someone else, it messes everyone else up.

Aragorn97
09-15-2019, 04:24 PM
In my town, they are putting a lot of roundabouts in intersections that previously had only stop signs. I think that will help a lot with traffic flow.

Roundabouts work pretty well for this kind of intersections

CleverCowboy
09-16-2019, 08:34 AM
Even though there's no shortage of guys who run these stop signs, the biggest problem is people who are talking on their phones or texting because when traffic is heavy, you'll have 3 or 4 cars coming up at roughly the same time and it's important you keep track of who got there first and if someone doesn't go when it's their turn to go because they are communicating with someone else, it messes everyone else up.

Oh, those drivers with a phone stuck to their heads! :mad:

That is a huge pet peeve of mine. They cut off a good portion of their peripheral vision. It makes me extra mad to see small children in the back seat.

Just the other day this guy was trying to back out of a parking space, driving with one arm, holding a phone up to his ear with the other arm. All the while he was twisted around trying to check for cars. I stopped and watched this guy as it took him much longer to complete backing out than if just set the phone down (or better yet, say he will call back later).

Bamagirl
09-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Roundabouts work pretty well for this kind of intersections

I agree! Also, they make it much less likely that an accident will be a deadly, head on crash. It can take people awhile to get used to them, though!