PDA

View Full Version : Cricket discussion

Merci Alizée
12-19-2020, 04:35 AM
I guess this thread will be used only by Ben.Daly.

My PM inbox is full.

This was easily worst day in 20 years of watching cricket.

Ben.Daly
12-19-2020, 04:53 AM
I guess this thread will be used only by Ben.Daly.

My PM inbox is full.

This was easily worst day in 20 years of watching cricket.

Incredible. No surprise it's the best bowling innings I've ever seen from Australia at least in a test match, there was an ODI against England (also at Adelaide Oval) a couple of years ago where we had England at 5/8 which was mad but I think today was crazier. It unravelled so fast that I'm not sure it fully processed, it just happened.

And as a bonus a win for Hobart in the Big Bash League this morning, it was also Ponting's birthday, and of course Tim Paine captaining the test team so overall a great day for Australian and more specifically Tasmanian cricket.

Now onto boxing day at the MCG, and I mean this in the kindest way possible but India will need all the luck they can get especially without Kholi. Maybe I've jinxed it here but if nothing else hopefully it's a more levelled encounter.

Merci Alizée
12-20-2020, 02:32 AM
Incredible. No surprise it's the best bowling innings I've ever seen from Australia at least in a test match, there was an ODI against England (also at Adelaide Oval) a couple of years ago where we had England at 5/8 which was mad but I think today was crazier. It unravelled so fast that I'm not sure it fully processed, it just happened.

And as a bonus a win for Hobart in the Big Bash League this morning, it was also Ponting's birthday, and of course Tim Paine captaining the test team so overall a great day for Australian and more specifically Tasmanian cricket.

Now onto boxing day at the MCG, and I mean this in the kindest way possible but India will need all the luck they can get especially without Kholi. Maybe I've jinxed it here but if nothing else hopefully it's a more levelled encounter.

Most of us predicting 4-0 whitewash. Like Paine said, they weren't at their best in the match. It's going to be worse from here for Indian team.

Kohli is gone, Shami has fractured arm. Ishant was already out of series with injury.

I was looking up performances in last 6 years in SENA (South Africa, New Zealand, England and Australia). Except Kohli and Pujara, no one has stood up.

Rahane has been tailender at #5 for long time and he is mentally shot also. Can't see how it can get better from here.

On top of that they decided to play Saha who is walking wicket. Pant - only batsman who has scored 2 centuries in mid-lower order is warming bench.

Is Warner joining in 2nd test? It will be painful to watch this sorry bunch.

Great day overall for Australian cricket. It was near perfect bowling performance. Somewhat similar to what McGrath did once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrl2bkxdCiQ

Ben.Daly
12-21-2020, 04:06 AM
Is Warner joining in 2nd test? It will be painful to watch this sorry bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrl2bkxdCiQ

Cricket.com.au say he's "racing the clock as he recovers from a groin strain." so I suppose they're unsure if he'll play or not.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/joe-burns-cleared-injury-david-warner-will-pucovski-doubt-likely-to-miss-boxing-day-australia-india/2020-12-20

On a side note, I find it annoying that they couldn't play any of the 4 tests in Hobart, Tasmania. I get that the 5 biggest cities with the biggest grounds are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide (the same 5 that always host the 5 ashes tests) but when we've had all these complications with Covid-19 and 1 of the 'big 5' cities is missing out anyway, they may as well take the chance to have 1 of the tests in Tasmania, especially when we're one of the better performing states when tackling the virus.

Merci Alizée
12-21-2020, 09:41 AM
Cricket.com.au say he's "racing the clock as he recovers from a groin strain." so I suppose they're unsure if he'll play or not.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/joe-burns-cleared-injury-david-warner-will-pucovski-doubt-likely-to-miss-boxing-day-australia-india/2020-12-20

On a side note, I find it annoying that they couldn't play any of the 4 tests in Hobart, Tasmania. I get that the 5 biggest cities with the biggest grounds are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide (the same 5 that always host the 5 ashes tests) but when we've had all these complications with Covid-19 and 1 of the 'big 5' cities is missing out anyway, they may as well take the chance to have 1 of the tests in Tasmania, especially when we're one of the better performing states when tackling the virus.

Do you attend matches in Hobart?

Ben.Daly
12-21-2020, 09:55 AM
Do you attend matches in Hobart?

Occasionally I'll go to watch a Big Bash League game there. But the National team rarely plays in Hobart, hopefully next time they do I'll be able to go.

There are some Big Bash League games played here in Launceston though so I'm able to attend most of those, though we always seem to lose whenever I attend those games, then on the rare occasion I don't attend we end up winning :( :facepalm:

I went to one about a week ago which was fun, we had some family members visiting so they attended also which was nice.

Merci Alizée
12-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Occasionally I'll go to watch a Big Bash League game there. But the National team rarely plays in Hobart, hopefully next time they do I'll be able to go.

There are some Big Bash League games played here in Launceston though so I'm able to attend most of those, though we always seem to lose whenever I attend those games, then on the rare occasion I don't attend we end up winning :( :facepalm:

I went to one about a week ago which was fun, we had some family members visiting so they attended also which was nice.

I like attending matches and so far watched matches at Eden Gardens (Kolkata), Hyderabad, Bangalore, Ranchi and Edgbaston.

Would love to go to MCG and Sydney some day.

Today was great day for the team.

Ben.Daly
12-27-2020, 07:23 AM
I like attending matches and so far watched matches at Eden Gardens (Kolkata), Hyderabad, Bangalore, Ranchi and Edgbaston.

Would love to go to MCG and Sydney some day.

Today was great day for the team.

And India made further progress today, I'm getting a little nervous about us chasing a big total from behind given our shaky batting so far in the series, but if Adelaide taught us anything it's that the match can turn on it's head almost in an instant.

We'll see what goes down tomorrow.

Merci Alizée
12-27-2020, 12:32 PM
And India made further progress today, I'm getting a little nervous about us chasing a big total from behind given our shaky batting so far in the series, but if Adelaide taught us anything it's that the match can turn on it's head almost in an instant.

We'll see what goes down tomorrow.

That's why everyone is just hoping for this lead to go as far as possible. Everyone is scared of what might happen in 2nd inning.

Smith is yet to activate beast mode. That seems to be a possibility.

Edit:

Btw, I will talking to Simon Taufel in January.

Ben.Daly
12-28-2020, 06:25 AM
That's why everyone is just hoping for this lead to go as far as possible. Everyone is scared of what might happen in 2nd inning.

Smith is yet to activate beast mode. That seems to be a possibility.

Edit:

Btw, I will talking to Simon Taufel in January.

Looks like you don't have much to be scared of. At one point it looked like India wouldn't even need to bat a 2nd innings. You will now but I can't see our tail end putting up any sort of total that will be difficult for India to chase.

Especially seeing Smith and Paine go out for the smallest of margins, can't say they were unfair or unlucky calls but it was demoralising to see them both go out early.

CleverCowboy
12-28-2020, 10:35 AM
So I am a cricket novice and my terminology might be incorrect, but I have watched some videos of it and find it interesting. I also have an unusual question.

When the "pitcher" throws the ball to the "batter", it bounces off the ground. I assume this is by design. The "pitch" is being thrown at a high velocity and it looks as though putting spin on the ball is part of the pitching strategy.

So my question is, what does the ground consist of that is between the "pitcher" and the "batter"? The surface looks as though it would take a beating after a while, with indentations and divots that would affect how the ball bounces as the game wears on. Is this area maintained regularly to smooth it out, or is the unpredictability of the bounce part of strategy?

Merci Alizée
12-30-2020, 10:08 AM
Looks like you don't have much to be scared of. At one point it looked like India wouldn't even need to bat a 2nd innings. You will now but I can't see our tail end putting up any sort of total that will be difficult for India to chase.

Especially seeing Smith and Paine go out for the smallest of margins, can't say they were unfair or unlucky calls but it was demoralising to see them both go out early.

Happy day for us.

Have to say it was one of the greatest victory for Indian cricket team. Performance was top notch.

Edit:

So I am a cricket novice and my terminology might be incorrect, but I have watched some videos of it and find it interesting. I also have an unusual question.

When the "pitcher" throws the ball to the "batter", it bounces off the ground. I assume this is by design. The "pitch" is being thrown at a high velocity and it looks as though putting spin on the ball is part of the pitching strategy.

So my question is, what does the ground consist of that is between the "pitcher" and the "batter"? The surface looks as though it would take a beating after a while, with indentations and divots that would affect how the ball bounces as the game wears on. Is this area maintained regularly to smooth it out, or is the unpredictability of the bounce part of strategy?

Ground is called as pitch and it is prepared by groundsmen and they do it by putting layers of different type of soil. It's a skill and idea is to produce a good ground which lasts for 5 days without much indentation.

If it is too flat, it favors batters too much. If it is too rough, it will help pitcher too much. They need to strike balance.

Not just bounce but trajectory also matters.

1. Dry, rough surfaces of India - mainly because of heat - helps slow pitches who spin the ball by imparting revolutions. Bounce is low

2. Surfaces with some grass - helps fast pitches in moving the ball.

3. Hard surfaces of Australia - bouncy tracks - good for batters and pitchers boths.

Additionally wind, moisture play role in swing and form important factors in executing skills of pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tGaoSz14g

CleverCowboy
12-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Ground is called as pitch and it is prepared by groundsmen and they do it by putting layers of different type of soil. It's a skill and idea is to produce a good ground which lasts for 5 days without much indentation.

If it is too flat, it favors batters too much. If it is too rough, it will help pitcher too much. They need to strike balance.

Not just bounce but trajectory also matters.

1. Dry, rough surfaces of India - mainly because of heat - helps slow pitches who spin the ball by imparting revolutions. Bounce is low

2. Surfaces with some grass - helps fast pitches in moving the ball.

3. Hard surfaces of Australia - bouncy tracks - good for batters and pitchers boths.

Additionally wind, moisture play role in swing and form important factors in executing skills of pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tGaoSz14g

Thanks Merci Alizee. Very interesting stuff on that video. That guys bowl at the 5 minute mark was crazy! :sstruck:

I found a wiki site that compares and contrasts baseball to cricket. I think what struck me the most was the differences in what would be a normal score for a game, with cricket being substantially higher.

I am a big baseball fan who has visited more than half the ballparks in the states. My goal is to visit them all over time, but this covid stuff has put a wrinkle in my plans for the time being. :(

I know a lot of people consider baseball too slow and boring, but I find the strategy aspect of the game enhances the enjoyment. There are many instances where a losing team comes from behind to win a game when they were a single strike away from losing. It can be so unpredictable and proves the game is not over until that last out is made. Does cricket have the same kind of intensity, with miracle comebacks and all that? :)

Merci Alizée
01-02-2021, 02:30 PM
Thanks Merci Alizee. Very interesting stuff on that video. That guys bowl at the 5 minute mark was crazy! :sstruck:

I found a wiki site that compares and contrasts baseball to cricket. I think what struck me the most was the differences in what would be a normal score for a game, with cricket being substantially higher.

I am a big baseball fan who has visited more than half the ballparks in the states. My goal is to visit them all over time, but this covid stuff has put a wrinkle in my plans for the time being. :(

I know a lot of people consider baseball too slow and boring, but I find the strategy aspect of the game enhances the enjoyment. There are many instances where a losing team comes from behind to win a game when they were a single strike away from losing. It can be so unpredictable and proves the game is not over until that last out is made. Does cricket have the same kind of intensity, with miracle comebacks and all that? :)

Yes, recently only Indian cricket team was dismissed for their lowest ever score against Australia in first match and everyone thought team would be rolled over. Moreover, best batter went back home for personal reasons. But team showed character and won 2nd game.

There are last minute drama in games also.

Ben.Daly
01-11-2021, 09:18 AM
Well, a draw in Sydney. The patience and perseverance of India's batting order has really impressed me this series, especially when Australia are all over the place (good and bad) when batting.

Now over to the Gabba to decide the series, should be an enthralling match. The commentators keep referencing Australia's great record in Brisbane which makes me think they've jinxed it, we'll see.

Merci Alizée
01-11-2021, 12:20 PM
Well, a draw in Sydney. The patience and perseverance of India's batting order has really impressed me this series, especially when Australia are all over the place (good and bad) when batting.

Now over to the Gabba to decide the series, should be an enthralling match. The commentators keep referencing Australia's great record in Brisbane which makes me think they've jinxed it, we'll see.

Yeah, even Paine was talking about Gabba with Ashwin. Anyway, this was great day to watch cricket and many fans enjoyed it a lot.

Chances of rain washing the match?

Ben.Daly
01-19-2021, 03:18 AM
And that's it. We've been outsmarted and outclassed at the Gabba of all places by an India team without many of their best players and captain. I was expecting India to hold out the draw to end the series level and retain the trophy but instead they finished the final innings like it was a T20 match and it worked.

Just get the sense Australia felt a bit naïve and got ahead of themselves, as a lot of fans including myself did too, after Adelaide we were firm favourites to win the series. But still, Australia were up against the best test country in the world, no real shame losing to such a side.

Massive respect to the players, captains and coaching staff of both sides and especially India, not sure I can say the same about the fans of either country attending the games though.
The reception Tim Paine got from the India fans in Brisbane when stepping up to congratulate India on the series win was uncalled for, Paine of all players in Australia's side has conducted himself exactly as he should as the captain, booing him is just unnecessary.
But even worse was the Australian fans who made the racist remarks at the SCG, just completely idiotic and left a sour taste to that test. It may've only been a couple of fans but it doesn't do anyone any good.

Disappointing all round from Australia, we had that miracle match in Adelaide then everything simply went downhill from there. But more importantly a massive congratulations to India, throughly deserved and well fought.

Merci Alizée
01-20-2021, 09:44 AM
And that's it. We've been outsmarted and outclassed at the Gabba of all places by an India team without many of their best players and captain. I was expecting India to hold out the draw to end the series level and retain the trophy but instead they finished the final innings like it was a T20 match and it worked.

Just get the sense Australia felt a bit naïve and got ahead of themselves, as a lot of fans including myself did too, after Adelaide we were firm favourites to win the series. But still, Australia were up against the best test country in the world, no real shame losing to such a side.

Massive respect to the players, captains and coaching staff of both sides and especially India, not sure I can say the same about the fans of either country attending the games though.
The reception Tim Paine got from the India fans in Brisbane when stepping up to congratulate India on the series win was uncalled for, Paine of all players in Australia's side has conducted himself exactly as he should as the captain, booing him is just unnecessary.
But even worse was the Australian fans who made the racist remarks at the SCG, just completely idiotic and left a sour taste to that test. It may've only been a couple of fans but it doesn't do anyone any good.

Disappointing all round from Australia, we had that miracle match in Adelaide then everything simply went downhill from there. But more importantly a massive congratulations to India, throughly deserved and well fought.

This was one of the most amazing day for Indian cricket. Not many people believed that this team could do this. I can't explain the mood here. People are still discussing non-stop about this everywhere.

I haven't seen anything like this before. Team just kept on standing up to Australian opposition. One of the greatest wins ever.

Such a high quality series. Hoping to see more in future.

BrightenTheCorners
05-25-2021, 05:34 AM
Can't believe there is a cricket thread here! Will be looking forward to some great discussions about World Test Championship and T20 world cup soon :)

Scruffydog777
05-25-2021, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum in case I hadn't said that before BrightenTheCorners. As you probably noticed, Merci Alizee is a big fan, but he's in India where they are having some tough times with covid so it might be a while before we hear from him.