Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée Translations (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Parler tout bas (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223)

brad 08-15-2006 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HibyPrime (Post 3948)
so... any idea why it was translated into "so.." in the video? i would guess it was a typo, but I could be wrong..

you can blame that on someone who doesn't speak any french, trying to translate a french song ... (and by someone, i mean me)

DJ_Greg 08-15-2006 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioactiveMan (Post 3950)
In English, you could say "Me, my name is..." but it's not a very popular way of speaking.

Nor is it grammatically correct. :p

Spartan500 08-15-2006 02:46 PM

well it sounds right with a pause between me snd my like if she is answering a question and doesn't know who the asker is talking to

RadioactiveMan 08-15-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Greg (Post 3959)
Nor is it grammatically correct. :p

Isn't it? I always thought that it was.

DJ_Greg 08-15-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioactiveMan (Post 3970)
Isn't it? I always thought that it was.

You know...now I'm not sure. I know it's frowned upon, but I can't find anything on the web about it (either way). I'll have to ask one of my English-major colleagues tonight.

brad 08-15-2006 05:16 PM

frenchie:

Moi, j' rêve en grand

is she saying ...

I dream big
(like she has large dreams, really good dreams)

or

I dream of being big (like she dreams of being an adult one day)

this might not even be 100% clear in french, but i will go with what you think :)

aFrenchie 08-15-2006 05:44 PM

Actually she sings: "Je rêve en grand" which literally is "I dream in big" but I'm pretty sure that it means nothing in English. If it does, then use it! Unless it's not the same: another example in French, you can also say "voir les choses en grand", literally "see things in big". A good trick to get it in English I think: add a word like format, dimension. "I dream/see things in big format", in big dimension, etc...
It's exactly the idea even though this notion is not implied! :)

Now that I re-read it:
Moi, j' rêve en grand
Comme l'éléphant
Je rêve immense

"Comme l'éléphant" goes with the 3rd line above and not the 1st.
I already said that it means that "just like the elephant (does), she dreams immense"

aFrenchie 08-15-2006 05:49 PM

Note that the notion of big format is a metaphor though -> things are immense in her dreams.

brad 08-15-2006 05:50 PM

OK .. thanks, that answers it perfectly.

I have fixed a bunch of stuff and I am compressing this video again.

brad 08-15-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aFrenchie (Post 4035)
Note that the notion of big format is a metaphor though -> things are immense in her dreams.

yeah .. i guess i have it framed in my head a certain way, like it seems to make a lot of sense to me for her to be saying 'i dream of growing up' or 'dream of being big' (a kid would say something like that) .. 'dream of being big' (like an adult)

but it seems to me this is not what it really is. she is saying she has wonderful / big dreams, right?