Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée Discussion (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How did you discover Alizée? (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4611)

isabella 06-15-2007 01:18 PM

How did you discover Alizée?

i was think...
how do people become a fan of alizée?
do you hear from her from your friends, do you have seen her on internet or other??

i would love to know:)

my "story" :

i was searching for a french singer on google ( i don't know why, i think i would know how french music sounds or something).
and i found her name.
so i download moi..lolita and like that song very much. a few days later i know al her songs and really like all of them! and then it go fast..i was looking at fansite's, at forums, build my own fansite, buy posters and finyls and all of that things:D

espire 06-15-2007 01:23 PM

Gourmandises on Last.fm. That piano riff at the beginning caught me, and Alizée's voice blew me away. Heh, the wind blew me away! :D

isabella 06-15-2007 01:25 PM

yes! that piano caught me too.
but the beginning of a contre-courant, that caught me much more! i don't know why.:)

gamezz 06-15-2007 01:29 PM

A long time ago, I saw on Fox Kids for the first time the clip of Moi...Lolita, but I didn't care for it, so I was going to watch to another channel. In 2006 I still had the song in my head, and I was curious who the singer was... So I searched in a p2p program called "Ares" and I found Moi...Lolita... And Immediatly I was hooked:D

espire 06-15-2007 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamezz (Post 45196)
A long time ago, I saw on Fox Kids for the first time the clip of Moi...Lolita, but I didn't care for it, so I was going to watch to another channel. In 2006 I still had the song in my head, and I was curious who the singer was... So I searched in a p2p program called "Ares" and I found Moi...Lolita... And Immediatly I was hooked:D

1) Fox Kids, like Fox TV in the US, played Moi Lolita? I wouldn't expect that.

2) Why was a kids' channel showing that anyway? :eek:

gamezz 06-15-2007 01:46 PM

I don't know... It was a kids channel for children between 4-12 years... And Alizee was very popular with her first single in Holland, So practically every channel showed her clip:)

espire 06-15-2007 01:48 PM

Oh, Holland. That makes more sense, I thought you meant Fox in the US :)

That would be really odd.

Bigbobo 06-15-2007 02:00 PM

WNxSauron (Sauron on these here forums) kept on posting videos of Moi Lolita on our gaming clan forums. I was like "Whats so good about her?" Then after more videos eventually leading into JEAM I was thinking that she was hot. Then soon after came her voice. There was a couple month gap then I was hooked and joined AF. I wasn't posting alot and eventually came here. I knew about this since all Sauron's videos came from here. I love the giant databse.

FYI I am not one of those sleezebags on youtube who go "ZOMG she is such a fucking hawt ho". I can't stand those sleeze's.

espire 06-15-2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbobo (Post 45207)
FYI I am not one of those sleezebags on youtube who go "ZOMG she is such a fucking hawt ho". I can't stand those sleeze's.

Don't worry, we can tell that you're not a YouTube commentator from simple things, like your:
  • Full sentences
  • Capital letters where appropriate
  • Lower-case letters where appropriate
  • Spelling and punctuation
  • Lack of being a twit
...so there's no need to mention it :D

thats amazazazing 06-15-2007 03:02 PM

my mom played me gourmandises, and i liked it. the end :D

isabella 06-15-2007 03:19 PM

sometimes i ask some people at school or from the family if they knows "Alizée" . then they say: no..who's that?
and when you play moi..lolita they say: yeah, i know her!
amazing how much people know moi..lolita, but how less people know her name:blink:

gamezz 06-15-2007 03:28 PM

Sometimes I play some songs of Alizee, and then my brother asks: Can you shorten Alizee's concert please? I'm getting deaf of her songs:mad: :eek:

Bigbobo 06-15-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 45208)
Don't worry, we can tell that you're not a YouTube commentator from simple things, like your:
  • Full sentences
  • Capital letters where appropriate
  • Lower-case letters where appropriate
  • Spelling and punctuation
  • Lack of being a twit
...so there's no need to mention it :D

Thats the third time today somebody mentioned my grammer! :D

Joey_adore_Jung 06-15-2007 04:30 PM

well i am not easy to entertain, though the best thing you can do is put on a comedy movie which influenced my finding of Alizée, for i was checking the top 100 on video.google.com and it said "hot french singer" so well as you know i was bored so i watched and thought the video and her voice were just beautiful, so after months of searching information on Alizée, i came across the wonderful site!

heyamigo 06-15-2007 04:56 PM

like most straight males, the entry point was JEAM on youtube. but then you get over JEAM after seeing all the goodness that is lili and look at her in a different light. honestly, now i am not that big a fan of JEAM as a song but i do confess JEAM performances were like a metal hook that digs deep and won't let you go.

heyamigo 06-15-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thats amazazazing (Post 45220)
my mom played me gourmandises, and i liked it. the end :D

that's a cool mom....i cant imagine my mom listening to lili stuff

CFHollister 06-15-2007 07:00 PM

Short answer:
Internet. JPVA hooked me. Haven't been the same since.

aditya8617 06-15-2007 09:06 PM

My friend showed me a clip of her performing JPVA. After that the story is just the same as everyone else.

Deus_Ex 06-15-2007 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isabella (Post 45221)
sometimes i ask some people at school or from the family if they knows "Alizée" . then they say: no..who's that?
and when you play moi..lolita they say: yeah, i know her!
amazing how much people know moi..lolita, but how less people know her name:blink:

i need to get a girlfriend who also likes alizee.

Zack -Alizee Lover- 06-15-2007 09:12 PM

I showed today the J'en ai marre live video to my teachers, and they were like: Oh that famous french singer! ^^Yeh i saw her in tv last weekend... :)

Drake498 06-15-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deus_Ex (Post 45329)
i need to get a girlfriend who also likes alizee.

lol, my girlfriend didn't even know who Alizée was until i gave her a CD of her, now she loves her music and knows like all the songs :D
Youpidou for me!!!! :D

Cooney 06-15-2007 09:56 PM

It's all thanks to cucumbers, really.

Like so many others, I ran across Alizée's clips on the net, while aimlessly browing a viral video site. The first I saw was the well known JEAM performance. Having some background in French, I tried to listen to it and understand parts, with minimal success as it had been years since I'd spoken French. I looked up the lyrics so I could do a dictionary translation. I had better success translating this way, but was having a bit of trouble with a few parts, most notably the word "Courgettes." I couldn't figure out what "Cucumbers" had to do with extremism and pessimism. I figured it must be some kind of slang, but didn't know what. My dictionary said nothing. Still, I was intruiged by something that unknowable, and went hunting for other clips, in case other songs had a clue to the mysterious meaning.

I found Moi... Lolita next, and rapidly acquired the lyrics to it as well. I got through translating almost all of it, though was curious about the phrase "donne ma langue au chat." It sounded like an idiomatic expression (specifically, one I didn't know), so I turned to the glorious internet for a clue. I found a web forum devoted to helping one-another out with French/English and English/French translation which had a thread on that exact phrase, and plugged the figurative meaning in to the song lyrics. It then occured to me that this would be a good place to ask about Courgettes. With the numerous native Frenchmen and fluent-level Anglophones, I was certain to find the answer I sought.

While awaiting replies there, I found the clip for ACC. This more mature Alizée, with the fully fleshed out music video, capitivated me. I found began translating it, and found a huge depth of meaning in the song. Nearly every line had double meaning (some triple!), many of which translated suprisingly well to English, and some lines were completely beyond me. I returned to the translation forum and found that the people there were just as confused by cucumbers as I was. Nobody was aware of any double meanings, slangs, or unusual implications.

Captivated by the complexity of ACC, and driven even harder to find meaning for those damnable courgettes, I went hunting for discussions of those particular songs. Much to my surprise and delight, I ran across a fan-site called moi-alizee.us, where things were in English, and there was a vast archive of videos and music information about this singer. I didn't register on the forums, lurking for several months instead. I did, however, see repeated references to "the Fun TV interview" and finally sat down to watch it, streamed from the site.

Watching the program, I was fascinated and delighted by how smart, sensible, witty, and generally pleasant Alizée was, and how unlike the ego-inflated American pop-stars she came across. I found myself falling in love with her laugh, with her smile, and the way she would become genuinely excited about this or that aspect of her life. I loved the way she credited her fans and her producers, was proud but humble, and seemed like the kind of person I would want to be friends with. Then, out of the blue, Lucas asked about the Courgettes. "I'm allergic" she replies. "Really" he asks. "Really" she says, with a huge rolled R on the beginning of the word.

Suddenly, Alizée makes sense to me. She isn't some creature from outer-space, or some strange incomprehensible being. She is a person, like you and me, and sings about her life, and the things that affect all of us. She's allergic to cucumbers, they make her vomit. Duh! Who needs slang and metaphor when you have plain and simple fact staring you in the face? I'm hooked, and I'm never going back.

I note similarities; Like Alizée, my top two front teeth are chipped off on the inner tips. Like her, I have a background in performing arts, with a major side interest in computer. Like her, cucumbers make me puke.

So, I'm a fan of Alizée, all thanks to those reprehensible green things called "Courgettes"

n.b. It was actually a discussion about the liquor called Alizé that resulted in me joining the boards here - I had just bought some due to its name, and couldn't resist signing up to join in :-)

thats amazazazing 06-16-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyamigo (Post 45247)
that's a cool mom....i cant imagine my mom listening to lili stuff

my mom has listened to mylene my whole life, so she knew about alizée right when she started to get popular. my mom was born in angers so she doesn't listen to much music in english, some, but she sticks with her roots :D

isabella 06-16-2007 05:11 AM

Quote:

my mom has listened to mylene my whole life, so she knew about alizée right when she started to get popular. my mom was born in angers so she doesn't listen to much music in english, some, but she sticks with her roots
cool! my mom knows only moilolita and desenchantee. but she don't know who has sing that songs:rolleyes: :p

marik 06-16-2007 08:09 AM

when isaw her first vid i was impressed! think it is from top of the pops Im Fed Up! then surf the web bout her!:) :eek: then found this site! LoL! very good site!:) ill be on this site forever!:)

isabella 06-16-2007 11:30 AM

Quote:

I showed today the J'en ai marre live video to my teachers, and they were like: Oh that famous french singer! ^^Yeh i saw her in tv last weekend...
lol. i have asked my music-teacher, but she don't know her..
maybe my french teacher knows her?:p

lefty12357 06-16-2007 12:14 PM

About a year ago I was poking around the videos on Google looking for new music and I discovered JEAM. I immediately loved the song, the sound of her voice and her looks. Each day the video would play in my mind, nagging me to return to Google and watch it again. I then discovered JPVA, ACC and the rest and I was hooked. I loved her voice and the songs the most, but her presence was also intriguing to me. I then found this site and watched all the interviews and couldn’t help but to think she was someone very special.

Music is a very big part of my life and Alizée’s music has given me much joy. I think Jessica said that Alizée is the same in person as we see her in the videos. This confirms to me that she is not just a media creation, and my adoration for her is well placed.

Having read everyone’s posts, I think our devotion to Alizée is not the typical fan reaction people have to other artists. This is something different and special. Rather than think less of other artists, I think more of Alizée. She has set a higher standard. Of course I don’t know Alizée personally, but her life and happiness has become important to me and wanting the best for her makes me feel good inside.

wmedia 07-26-2008 08:24 AM

Here is my Discovery of Alizée:
In the summer of 2008, Belgian singer Kate Ryan's new hit-single "Ella, elle l'a" was frequently played on the radio, and it got stuck im my brain. So i had to searc youtube to see if I could find here music video. After I had played in some times, I saw that there was another version of the song by an French artist called Alizée. I played the to versions back and forth, and become more and more interested of Alizée. I could not remember to have heard of this artist before, so I started to look for what other music Alizée had made.

In the beginning, I was most interested in the musicvideos, but later I listened to the full albums, at first I found "Mes Courants Électriques" best accessable to my ears. In my continued search for videos I wanted better quality, which I found at Alizée America. ;) Later I got the opportunity to see the full DVD: "Alizée En Concert" and that made everything fall in the right place. To see this astonishing beautiful girl so full of life, perform all this great music in this stylish consert environment, made me become a fan.

darth_tiberius 07-26-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isabella (Post 45191)
i was think...
how do people become a fan of alizée?
do you hear from her from your friends, do you have seen her on internet or other??

i would love to know:)

I saw her on TV with her music video, Moi Lolita. I recorded it off the TV and listened to it many times as I loved the song. 6 years later I heard the song again and downloaded it. Then I asked myself, "If this is good, what does her other songs sound like". So got her 2nd album and liked it very much.

Now I'm not a huge fan, and I thought the third album was average but I enjoy listening to her voice and songs and watching her. My French friends think me very strange for liking Alizee. Especially since my music collection is polar opposite to Alizee with classic rock, hard rock and heavy metal. But I still listen to her anyway.

But at least they're happy that it was Alizee that got me to like the French language where I previously didn't back many years ago.

MonteCristo 07-26-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isabella (Post 45195)
yes! that piano caught me too.
but the beginning of a contre-courant, that caught me much more! i don't know why.:)

High Five:)

MonteCristo 07-26-2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty12357 (Post 45523)
Of course I don’t know Alizée personally, but her life and happiness has become important to me and wanting the best for her makes me feel good inside.

I was in Paris in 2001 and heard Moi Lolita and Gourmandises in some sort of bakery with really delicious crousants baked in the shape of a circle with whip cream on top. I think i got hooked on those as well as Alizee when i was in France. When i got home, i found the old Alizee official and heard all her songs, i liked them, so i bought the CD and placed the songs in my iTunes and Moi Lolita just became another song in my huge collection of music i like. That was when i havent realized Alizee's true potential yet. After a few months, i was bored, and searched up this mysterious young french singer again, and found mes courants electriques.
This time, with all my most favorite songs in her name, A Contre Courant, Cest Trop Tard, Hey Amigo, J'en Ai Marre and JVPA. From there, i got all the songs she produced, from Moi Lolita Techno Remix, to Ella Ella L'a, and i've been buying her merchandise to the present. Except the clothes and posters with nothing to them but looks.....theres too much different kinds of clothes and i dont really see the point, when most of them look like they belong to girls or pedos. I joined this site in 2007 when i got depressed because i havent been to Europe in a while. I love Europe, plan on living there once i get my masters. Anyway, thats my story.
And lefty, i agree with you, wanting the best for something as special as Alizee makes you feel really good.

NarutoSoul 07-26-2008 03:00 PM

Youtube. I don't remember exactly how I got to her video, but I first came across JEAM. Now, I'll admit it, my first interest was her hotness(I was a teen awash in hormones... sue me! :p). However, after moving on, watching more and more videos, I found my feelings change. She stirred something inside me... I found myself caring about her. I started researching and listening to her music. Here I am, over 3 years later, trying to make the US a viable place for her to perform! She has helped me too much for mere words to encompass, and I would gladly do anything to help her.

TheBarrett 07-26-2008 09:29 PM

David Barrett 1990-2000
(May he rest in peace)

Foreword:
During the near end of the year of 2000, David of the Barrett family lived his life, only to pass on towards the next day. This one particularly day would mark the end of young David's life, as he discovered the voice of one that would forever shatter he who had been. The song was "Moi...Lolita", and upon the radio, he heard it for the first time, a different language in the heart of his anglican homeland, England. Upon this voice, his life changed, forever, marked was his final day as David Barrett, identity change, soul recycled, and he was gone. Nothing would ever be the same for him ever again, he was now, a new person. Forever his desires and his dreams were thrown away, and replaced with the desires and the dreams of the new spirit, and forever he should answer the call of his new queen, whom was named Alizée.

Black and white are all he had seen, in his infancy...
Now, reaching out to him, color brings him to see...

Throughout 8 years, and forward, he now lives under a new light, Alizée...

pepelepew 07-27-2008 02:22 AM

My story of discovering Alizee is not near as colorful or for as long a period as some of you although the outcome seems to be very similar across the board. I was cruising youtube and saw the picture of Alizee with her back to the camera in her little sailor JEAM video. That video is a tactical nuke! Anyway it peaked my interest and I started to watch other videos and then interviews .many French and then discovering some translated to English. Like others have said I discovered that she had a lot of depth to her and was much more that just another teenie bopper! Yes she is very alluring, but those eyes of hers express an intelligence. aliveness, joy, tenderness, love and then you add in her immense facial expressions you don't even have to know French. This all began for me last October I think. It has been an evolving situation and these days I can't get enough. As an artist her voice has a unique tone and range. Stevie Knicks and Sade come to mind as being very unique tone and maybe less range, but you get my drift. Long story short she has the whole enchilada as an artist, beautiful inside and out, intelligent,humble, kind, loving, great sense of humor,loves life, high morals, personal/professional integrity, courageous. Have to stop or this will turn into long story long story. It is amazing that especially men from all walks of life, backgrounds, ages, races,creeds etc. have drawn very similar identifiers re; Alizee. Very curious indeed. See on the road to Lilly Town!

C-4 07-29-2008 10:43 AM

Having been a professional musician for many decades, and having done session work in NYC, Nashville, Boston, Florida and other places, I have heard so much music, mostly from either America or Great Britain and was getting tired of what was being played on the radio.

Then a friend of mine from Europe told me about Alizée and said "Why don't you try listening to some of her music". That was all it took for me.

I was never much interested in France, because I was doing other things. However, after listening to Alizée, I became interested in Alizée's music, history, and then, after signing up for this forum, everything I could find out about France, as well. Now I listen to Alizée (and some other French artists, when I want a slight change of pace) to the total exclusion of everything else, except the music I am hired to learn and play.

Her voice, upbringing, attitude towards life, her morals, professionalism, humility, brains, personality, and of course, her most magnificant good looks, have all worked together to make me want to go to France and no other place, prior to being able to go there first. I have become interested in all things Alizée, and France.

I have always loved commercial music and find her music to represent the freshest music with the most depth and feeling of any I have heard in many years. I have not been this excited about listening to a specific person's music since Elvis, and the British Invasion. I have been this way for four years now, and the feeling has not let up. Instead, it has continually strengthened during this time, with much assistance from this forum and it's wonderful and generous members.

I am constantly driving my band, studio people and everyone around me crazy because whenever they see me, I am listening to Alizée.

Whenever I am asked what music I like to listen too, and I state "Alizée, and her French 'tangy pop' ", I get the most amazing reactions, especially after the person asking the question has heard me perform.

I cannot get enough of Alizée all the time, and I truly love it!

espire 07-29-2008 12:36 PM

That was an epic thread revival. Best of all, I don't need to tell my story again!

Analyzing my year-old posts, note the pun that I made on Alizée's name. Only a very recent fan would do that.

Camapajama 07-30-2008 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 110713)
That was an epic thread revival. Best of all, I don't need to tell my story again!

Analyzing my year-old posts, note the pun that I made on Alizée's name. Only a very recent fan would do that.

Wait..because her name is similar in the translation of 'Trade-wind?'

Sorry, I'm not good at puns, nor getting subtle jokes or anything :(

espire 07-30-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camapajama (Post 110740)
Wait..because her name is similar in the translation of 'Trade-wind?'

Exactly that :D

Camapajama 07-30-2008 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 110741)
Exactly that :D

Haha! Of all the puns I ever get, they better to continue to be part of Alizee :)

Oh..While I'm here, might as well post as how I became a fan.
It all started on an ominous day. It was rather depressing, but I felt music could cheer me up. So, I jumped on the internet, and started looking at music in general.

Now normally I'm more of a 'Killswitch Engaged,' or,'In Flames,' or,'Breaking Benjamin,' or...Well you get the picture. I'm more of a hard rock kind of person.

Anyway, I looked at some music, and decided,"It's time for a change in pace." So, I started looking at Techno/Dance music (it's basically tied, in favorites, with hard rock).

Nothing really appealed to me, so I figured I would play a game for a while...
While you may have guessed it, I play World of Warcraft every now and then. So, out of just curiosity, I play around with the game for a while, and some how come up with the question: Where did all these dances come from?

So, onto Youtube I went (Comments on that site are dreadful, by the way:eek: ) I typed in,"WoW dances."
So, I watch the most popular video of the origins of the dances, and about mid-way through, I see Alizee. Her beauty caught me, but so did her music.

Now, knowing Youtube, comments about how 'hawt' Alizee is, are seemingly always appearing in the space below the video. Obviously, since there wasn't any other amazingly beautiful women in the video, I came to the conclusion of the obvious: This was Alizee.

So, next step? You betcha, type in Alizee in the Youtube search bar :D
JEAM comes up, and I virtually immediately become entranced by her voice, dance, and overall presence.

I spend about 10 more minuets looking at all the videos with her performances in it, and decide I need to look at other websites.

Now, I spend about 20-40 minuets a day looking at this website, but I never really put in effort to make an account and post.

So a few months go buy, and here I am posting :)

Sheesh, long post :D (at least for me anyway)

Edcognito 07-30-2008 01:14 AM

Hmmm - Familiar Thread!

This is how I started...

http://moi-alizee.us/forums/showthread.php?t=1428

bah, thats after..... Here i go again....

/emote Diving back into the search engine.....

sorry - I can't find it - and its too late for me to try and re-type it....

Friends daughter let me hear a min. of A Countre Courant... Took a couple weeks, but I started U-tubing it...

Here I am! :)

Ed:cool:

03-19-2009: FOUND IT!

http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/show...9&postcount=13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edcognito (Post 16539)
Hello all! I've been lurking on the site for about a month and a half - just checking things out. :D

I live in upstate NY (about 4.5 hours from NYC) near Ithaca, NY. I work as a Security Officer for a hospital (not contract security - Private Security).

I discovered Alizee accidentally when some friends of mine brought their 14 yr. old daughter into work one afternoon, and (to take her mind off the tetnus shot she was soon to get) i asked her what she was listening to on her I-pod. I heard "A Countre Courant" and was floored by the voice! I do NOT normally like Euro-pop (or any pop for that matter) but i LOVED that voice. So after a couple of days when i couldn't stop thinking about that voice and that song - I went to Wikkipedia... and the rest is history....

Thanks to Admin Brad - Nice site here.

Edcognito