Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Apprendre l'anglais (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Beautiful Languages (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7200)

Merci Alizée 09-21-2012 02:10 PM

Beautiful Languages

I was reading a discussion over languages on some other forum and one poster pointed out that Italian is considered as one of the most beautiful language. Why?

I have noticed same with some other languages. Urdu and Telugu are considered more melodic and beautiful than other languages in this part of the world.

German is probably considered anti-beautiful? Germans (read Jenny) please don't kill me for this. :D

So, what's the reason behind adoring a language more than other? Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?

Fall 09-21-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merci Alizée (Post 232847)
Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?

I don't know if it's because of literature and art, but that sounds like a good reason. I personally like the sound of Portuguese, but I don't know any art or literature in that language, just a song or two, one of which I will link below. Just from hearing people speak it, I like the sound of it. Especially girls :D It sounds a little bit like Spanish and French put together with an extra something, it's quite nice in my opinon :)

This is a song from the 70s by Roberto Carlos, a famous Brazilian singer. It's a song about a very loyal friend. I believe it's called Amigo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTF184kDl5c

Karin 09-21-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

German is probably considered anti-beautiful? Germans (read Jenny) please don't kill me for this. :D

cause its hard like a swine :D

lefty12357 09-21-2012 08:20 PM

I hear a lot of people say that French is the most beautiful language. I think this concept of "beautiful language" has a lot to do with the way a language sounds when properly pronounced rather than just the words of the language itself. That's why many English speakers like the sound of a person speaking English with a French accent, or for that matter, with an Italian accent. They can almost make English sound beautiful. :D Personally, I enjoy hearing English spoken in many different accents.

awkward Turtle 09-22-2012 01:07 PM

I think a beautiful language is all just up to personal preference. I actually think German can be quite beautiful with the right voice and intonations.

On the other hand, I find Italian to be quite an ugly language. That might be because I speak Spanish and think Italian sounds like Spanish, just with random hard and jarring sounds thrown in which ruins the entire ascetic of the language. Then again, it is all just opinions, and I am sure many people will disagree with mine here.

Rev 09-23-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

I was reading a discussion over languages on some other forum and one poster pointed out that Italian is considered as one of the most beautiful language. Why?

I have noticed same with some other languages. Urdu and Telugu are considered more melodic and beautiful than other languages in this part of the world.

So, what's the reason behind adoring a language more than other? Is it just stereotype? Is it because art and literature flourished more in one language than other ones?

An anecdote sometimes attributed to King Charles is: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men and German to my horse." (noted in Wikipedia)

I think of English as not a very beautiful language. I would love to see Sanskrit become the universal language, but alas, it is not to be.

Spanish, Italian and French are often referred to as romance languages. I am guessing that this is due to the easy flow of pronunciation as well as the ability of these languages to convey emotionality and nuance well. :)

Bigdan 09-23-2012 05:56 AM

http://youtu.be/9BDyEB4T84g

Juliette Greco.
The French language at his best.

awkward Turtle 09-23-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev (Post 232894)
Spanish, Italian and French are often referred to as romance languages. I am guessing that this is due to the easy flow of pronunciation as well as the ability of these languages to convey emotionality and nuance well. :)

They are called Romance languages because they all evolved from Latin, the language spoken by the Romans.

In just the same way, English belongs to the Germanic family of languages because it evolved, along with German, Dutch, Norwegian, and others from a theorized proto-Germanic language.

Merci Alizée 09-23-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev (Post 232894)

Is it the case with languages having lot of words ending with a vowel?

Rev 09-25-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merci Alizée (Post 232902)
Is it the case with languages having lot of words ending with a vowel?

I don't know any more. I remember learning all this in high school, but I have long since forgotten the details. Do we have a language major out ther who can answer this (where is Garcon Canadien when you need him)? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by awkward Turtle (Post 232899)
They are called Romance languages because they all evolved from Latin, the language spoken by the Romans.

In just the same way, English belongs to the Germanic family of languages because it evolved, along with German, Dutch, Norwegian, and others from a theorized proto-Germanic language.

And those from Indo-European - the common root to western and Indian languages, including Latin and Sanskrit.

By the way, if I remember correctly, Lithuanian is the closest modern day language to the ancient Indo-European. :)