Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée Discussion (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ajaccio Corsica Sounds Interesting (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616)

AmericanFan 10-13-2007 10:04 PM

Ajaccio Corsica Sounds Interesting

I'm a ham radio operator and have been talking to a guy from Alizée's home town.
He has been telling me about the island, the people, and the customs. It is absolutely fascinating! Not what I expected at all. Not that I didn't expect it to be interesting, just not what I expected.
I guess I expect every culture to be screwed up like ours.
There is some difficulty communicating as his English isn't great and I don't understand a single word of French. But it is still fun to talk to him!
No, Alizée didn't come up in our conversations... yet. I wouldn't know what to ask. Besides, I didn't want to sound like another crazy fan. I am crazy, and a huge fan, I just didn't want him to know.
If anyone is interested I'll post updates as they happen.

Solaris 10-13-2007 10:11 PM

Sweet! So whats it like over there? what were his words cause I really wanted to live somewhere other than the states when I get older. England or France, France has the whole language barrier thing and England has the whole im gunna freeze to death going for it! Keep us posted and how on earth did you come about getting a hold of a Corsica native?

lefty12357 10-13-2007 10:18 PM

Webcam, port of Ajaccio:

http://www.corse-du-sud.cci.fr/ports/_popupwebcam.php

Toc De Mac 10-13-2007 10:20 PM

Sounds pretty neat! Corsica always has appealed to me; it seems to be such a charming place. :)

If you need help with the communication issues, I could help you. I'm so bored at the moment...

AmericanFan 10-13-2007 10:30 PM

Apparently it is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled parts of the world! But with that it is "crude" in comparison to our standards. He used the word "crude" and I understood his meaning as underdeveloped or not modern. Seems to me that unspoiled and underdeveloped is the same thing. Sounds appealing.
The main industry is tourism but ironically they don't like visitors much. That is because some visitors tend to forget to return home. As a result, they change things.
Apparently there is some violence there in the larger cities, like small scale terrorism. I don't quite understand that part yet or why that would be happening.
Ajaccio is apparently more of a village or small town than a large busy city.
For the most part people there have less money than we do but are many times happier.
Anyway it is no wonder why Alizee calls it home.
Does anyone have any questions for me to ask?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toc De Mac (Post 70313)
Sounds pretty neat! Corsica always has appealed to me; it seems to be such a charming place. :)

If you need help with the communication issues, I could help you. I'm so bored at the moment...

That could be a big help but I don't know how we could do it. If you are in N. America I might be able to set up a telephone patch so you can talk to him direct. Then tell us what the heck you talked about. LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty12357 (Post 70311)

I checked out the webcam. That hardly looks like the quiet coastal village he described. Looks pretty modern to me.

Solaris 10-13-2007 10:37 PM

Ask him if he could would he be happier anywhere else? Isn't Lili's father a computer scientist? it gots to have some modernness to it..o well. France has been under turmoil for the past 3 years no? like on the news and stuff the populace was rioting for what a couple months or so? If ever you tell him who you really are tell him we love the Corsican Jewel!

AmericanFan 10-13-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solaris (Post 70317)
Ask him if he could would he be happier anywhere else? Isn't Lili's father a computer scientist? it gots to have some modernness to it..o well. France has been under turmoil for the past 3 years no? like on the news and stuff the populace was rioting for what a couple months or so? If ever you tell him who you really are tell him we love the Corsican Jewel!

OK, I don't know what he father does. For that matter I don't know much about France either. No clue as to current events there.
Apparently they know much more about us than we do of them. Maybe that is why Alizee hasn't toured the U.S. yet.
Could it be she doesn't like us? :blink:

espire 10-13-2007 10:47 PM

I'd love to visit Corsica, but living there is not for me; it's too far from suburban life.

Montreal, though, is probably where I'll end up, especially if I keep my mindset like it is now. I love everything about it, and it's close to home. I can also get caught up in all sorts of political hubbub, being as less than half of Quebec doesn't want to be part of Canada anymore.

LiquidC 10-13-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espire (Post 70320)
I'd love to visit Corsica, but living there is not for me; it's too far from suburban life.

Montreal, though, is probably where I'll end up, especially if I keep my mindset like it is now. I love everything about it, and it's close to home. I can also get caught up in all sorts of political hubbub, being as less than half of Quebec doesn't want to be part of Canada anymore.

And be ready to talk about hockey every day. I live in montreal btw.

espire 10-13-2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidC (Post 70322)
And be ready to talk about hockey every day. I live in montreal btw.

Well, I don't even follow hockey anymore, but when I did, I always cheered for the Canadiens, even though I wasn't a Francophile at the time. Is Koivu still around? And who was that goalie who was so good that they had a few years ago? ;)