Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   why?????? (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907)

penguinluvr91 11-30-2007 10:34 AM

why??????

why is it that the U.S exports almost all entertainment such as artists and movies and shows to other countries buy they hardly do that in return. we almost never or never hear about artists or movies or shows from other places that weren't the United States.

i mean the only other places i hear artists, shows, movies from is from Latin America. i mean its obvious why we hear so much from Latin America but that doesnt mean we should limit ourselves to that.

are artists from other countries scared that they wont do well in America or do their record labels not let them go beyond where ever they're from.

well i dont know but those artist from other countries should come to the U.S....

French Fan 11-30-2007 11:59 AM

The main problem in my opinion is that artists are afraid with the US market because most of people think english language is required for success in the US...

SilentFox 11-30-2007 12:07 PM

That was what i was thinking about to there FF

cocoroa 11-30-2007 12:19 PM

you should be happy those who live in the us or in europe

i live in chile and here you don´t see too many concerts and things like that

you should be proud of having that number of artists who give concerts almost all the time.

Nobody cares about small countries.

blueskyy 11-30-2007 12:29 PM

Maybe because some Americans think that the US is the best country in the world and that we already have the best stuff, so they have no interest in listening to foreign music/art. Plus the fact that most of them don't know anything or have any experience to foreign music/art.

Just think of the rednecks that you may try to introduce to Alizee: "I aint listn'n to no French crap! They didn't support us in the war, etc etc.

OGRE 11-30-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinluvr91 (Post 79254)
why is it that the U.S exports almost all entertainment such as artists and movies and shows to other countries buy they hardly do that in return. we almost never or never hear about artists or movies or shows from other places that weren't the United States.

Supply and Demand.

America generates a lot of domestic entertainment. Our internal supply is very high. Couple that to the fact English is the primary language of commerce (requiring most Americans to only need to learn English) and they will gravitate to English enterntainment provided by an oversaturated internal demand. There is little demand for foreign entertainment because, in a nutshell, most of what we desire (or wish to desire) is produced domestically.

Many countries outside the U.S. don't generate as much entertainment domestically (although several external markets are expanding very nicely), and the U.S. is more than ready to provide supply. Couple that to the fact many foreigners know English as a second language, and are willing (and accustomed) to accepting foriegn entertainment products.

espire 11-30-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by French Fan (Post 79256)
The main problem in my opinion is that artists are afraid with the US market because most of people think english language is required for success in the US...

The English language is required for success in the US, partly because people will usually prefer to listen in a language that they understand, but also recursively; success is defined by sales,so there isn't as much publicity as there usually is in the native country. Publicity causes a lot of sales, so until music companies start taking risks, we'll be stuck in that loop.

theit77 11-30-2007 03:40 PM

Very well said, Orge; I think the language barrier is a major part of the problem, but your supply-demand relationship probably explains it best

lefty12357 11-30-2007 05:40 PM

Ogre makes a good point. The US can produce more than enough entertainment for its own needs.

But I would argue that Americans still need to expose themselves to what the rest of the world has to offer. We need to be open to new sounds and new ideas. We may be smart in some things, but we are quite ignorant in others. We have cut ourselves off from the rest of the world for too long and are missing out on too much.

I also think French Fan makes a good point. Until the US sends a signal to the rest of the world that we are willing to listen, people like Alizée may just decide not to bother coming here. It will be our loss.

DirtyACE 11-30-2007 05:48 PM

Even with the supply of entertainment US provides, I think we'll see a growth in exposure of foreign artists gradually, thanks to the internet mainly. Youtube anyone.