Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée News (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Has anyone from AAm contacted Riccardo about Alizee-Forum? (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8257)

Merci Alizée 09-16-2017 05:56 AM

Has anyone from AAm contacted Riccardo about Alizee-Forum?

https://twitter.com/riccphoto/status/908990998570766337

AF is closed and Ricc is closing fb fan page too. FB provides an option where you can merge your page with other page and that way you don't lose any information.

So I asked him if he can merge the page with our AAm page.

Scruffydog777 09-16-2017 10:56 AM

When they first announced they were closing, I donated some money to keep it open a couple of months longer, thinking some changes could be made to keep it going, but after talking to other members in that forum it became obvious it was a lost cause. That was the last of our discussions.

As far as merging FB pages, would that give us access to all the files and threads in the forum?

kulli 09-16-2017 11:29 AM

What does that mean? The archive of Alizeeforum.com is still online, you cant register but you can read all the posts. He wants to close it too?

Ray4AJ 09-16-2017 07:00 PM

This is the first I heard there even was a FB page for Alizee-Forum. What's the value of merging the two pages? In any case, I don't have an opinion about that.

As for him offering his forum for sale, looking at the AF forum Twitter posts for the first time today, this is also the first I heard about that. I never saw him make that offer on his forum, which is where I have been checking for news about that forum. Seems odd he didn't mention that on the actual forum. :/)

It's too bad he places a monetary value on the forum data. It's a great source of information and discussion. Will it all just be deleted and lost forever? Hopefully the wayback machine will come through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulli (Post 259123)
What does that mean? The archive of Alizeeforum.com is still online, you cant register but you can read all the posts. He wants to close it too?

He has said it's been closed for several months. Sounds to me like it's going to all disappear soon. :dontknow:

kulli 09-16-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray4AJ (Post 259124)
This is the first I heard there even was a FB page for Alizee-Forum. What's the value of merging the two pages? In any case, I don't have an opinion about that.

"If your Pages can be merged, the people who like your Pages and any check-ins will be combined, but posts, photos, reviews, ratings and the username will be deleted from the Page you merge. The Page you want to keep will remain unchanged, except for the addition of people who like the Page and check-ins that were merged from the other Page. The Page you don't want to keep will be removed from Facebook, and you won't be able to unmerge it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray4AJ (Post 259124)
He has said it's been closed for several months. Sounds to me like it's going to all disappear soon. :dontknow:It's a great source of information and discussion. Will it all just be deleted and lost forever? Hopefully the wayback machine will come through.

Yes its a great source. It would be a pity and a big loss to the fan community if all lost forever!
I have sent a tweet to contact him.

Scruffydog777 09-17-2017 02:10 PM

I'll first say that there is lot more I don't know than know about servers and web pages than I do know, but I'll offer some opinions on the little I know.

I'm sure Riccardo will not sell the server at a low price.

What we really want from AF is the all the posts that members made, offering opinions, experiences, translations, etc.

I don't see a way we can make that info available on our FB page other than posting a link to a web site server.

There are all different types of servers. There's a platform server which holds the operating system of in this case the forum.

There's also a file server where all the info is stored.

Now these both can be merged into the same unit, or they could be seperate. If they are seperate, I would think all we would need is the file server. It probably wont be easy to redo our software to access it, but it should be doable, if Ben is willing to work with us on this.

I wonder too about the power supply for the server(s). In Europe, they operate on a different voltage and frequency. Maybe the existing power supply can handle it or maybe getting another one will be an added expense.

Shipping too wont be cheap.

I see a big expense to get this done and so little going on with Alizee with nothing on the horizon, that I don't know if it's worth it?

It be a shame to lose it but que sera, sera.

Ray4AJ 09-17-2017 07:18 PM

Regarding Alizée Forum, it's just the data that needs to be preserved, and that can transfer over the internet. He can toss the server hardware out the window, it's not essential.

And if he just deletes everything, so be it. I had already considered it lost forever.

Merging Facebook pages is an entirely different topic. From kulli's post, it looks to me like all that merges is the followers/friends list from the sacrificial page into the surviving page, not the actual content. It goes away forever too.

Edit:

The data from the server shouldn't need to go onto another server immediately, it can just sit on a hard drive.

Scruffydog777 09-17-2017 08:06 PM

Here's part of a conversation I had with Riccardo via FB which I don't think he would mind me sharing.

"Hey Riccardo. I'd like to know how much it would cost to buy the server or at least keep it running for the next 6 months."

"let me know
what u think
i have no real clue just wanting to sell it"

"I know a couple of years ago when there was talk of our server being sold, a price of $200 was mentioned. I myself have no experience with them and am not sure of the operating expenses. We reduced the costs of operating our server by eliminating the video section. It was a tough choice, but we survived and I believe our costs are about $50 a month. I'm not sure because Ben still has the server. So maybe you can give me a little feed back on the operating costs of running the AF server. Take care. Dave"

"well, i could have the server running a bit more, if u chipped or someone did
if not, i would just take it offline and put a message on and backup all data for recovery."

At least it does look like he will back up the info.

Even if he could transfer that info for low or no money, I think he still would want to sell it because it will be a useless piece of hardware for him. Of course if he got enough money for just the data, then the server wouldn't matter. He could probably sell it over there.

Ray4AJ 09-17-2017 08:48 PM

I may be mistaken but I think AAm is on space rented from a server farm, not on a unit sitting in someone's spare bedroom.

If he has a physical server in his possession he can re-purpose it for his photography. Then again, if he has his own hardware, then where are the huge expenses coming from?

I'm not suggesting for anyone to pay for the data nor to pay for the server/software.

Rev 09-18-2017 01:14 AM

There are any number of possibilities on how they were configured. However, if he did own physical equipment, then it is now old. It would likely need to be replaced anyway before too long.

Bottom line is that we are looking more for the files than the physical hardware.

The issue would be maintaining whatever connectivity that the software provides. Moving the files into a different environment could take a lot of work.

Hosting costs have gone way down from years ago as storage is now very inexpensive. These days it would not generally make sense to have your own server unless you job is in IT administration. As storage costs are so low now, these files could be added to what we already have essentially for free. Again, the trick is in getting the existing file intelligence incorporated into our current system. :)

kulli 09-18-2017 11:47 AM

With all the backup files cant you just create an offline version of the website and share the file on Dc++ hub for offline reading?

Paybays 09-18-2017 01:34 PM

The question is... do you really want to share everything that has happened on alizée-forum in the past 15+ years?
The hatred from and towards RMJ, the hatred towards the forum and Alizée + Gregoiry, the debate about Annily, the conspiracy theory and I could continue for days. Snatcher and Riccardo are great guys, I even communicated with Riccardo back in the days his HD went to shits.

AF is a shame to the Alizée community and members like RMJ, me and Plazmatek are partial to blame. If Alizée is every interested in who I am as a person I would not mention my forumname. I would be disgusted by the forum if I was Alizée myself

Scruffydog777 09-18-2017 02:47 PM

I agree a lot with what Paybays has to say. In the past couple of years there was so much cussing on a daily basis, so many insults, it's no surprise that people grew tired of it. In the past couple of years if you said the least thing critical of Alizee, you would be set upon and that's not right. Alizee forum is just like our forum. They are there for discussion pro and con. It's okay to be critical, but too often that criticism turned into bashing and that's something I've been guilty of myself at times along with all the other things.

RMJ had carte blanche to say what ever he wanted and he did so often. There were fights all the time and little was done to police it. It's no wonder people grew tired of it. Annily should have been a topic that was off limits, but it wasn't.

At the beginning of the year, I thought things were capable of being turned around and so I made a donation to keep it open a couple of more months , but after talking to a few of their members it was obvious they had enough of AF.

Still there's some good knowledge I think in their files such as interpretations, translations, experiences as I had said the other day and it would be a shame to lose it. If we get their files, I don't think people will care about the fights, they will care about the things I just mentioned. But as I said before, I think there will be a fairly large cost for this info and at this point in her career, with no tourne's and I'm sure there wont be a Les Enfoires though with her business, she could easily block out that time to go, so I don't think it's worth paying it.

Ray4AJ 09-19-2017 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kulli (Post 259133)
With all the backup files cant you just create an offline version of the website and share the file on Dc++ hub for offline reading?

I envisioned something like that. The important thing is to secure the data now and then figure out how to provide access later.

For what it's worth, vBulletin forums are in a mySQL database, whatever that means.

All of the serious discussion, translations, analysis and personal observations of the 'old days' that exists there is a great resource to fans new and old.

alizeefan 09-19-2017 07:36 AM

I doubt the entire site content is more than a terabyte or few .
Pretty simple process to rip the site and save all the information ,
one can do it by hand or there are many automated programs to do such .

Hosting said information and servers is a simple process and any questions therein
should be asked into the internets .

As for Alizee liking or disliking anything ya'll fans do is a pretty silly notion ,
her thought process on the little she does read here and there is completely
different than most assume . After all it is her , so to consider there within that raison d'etre rationalization and she is not an alizeefan therefore any of the drama wouldn't even register on the level of love to hate as the " we " who do , do's it .

Rev 09-19-2017 11:13 PM

The non-graphical data would likely be well under 100Gig.
However, if we could also get the graphical data as well, it would be good.
mySQL is a free relational database. It is one of the more popular free Structured Query Language capable databases. :)

Merci Alizée 09-20-2017 11:12 AM

Can anyone give me Ricc's email address or some way to contact him?

Ray4AJ 09-20-2017 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merci Alizée (Post 259141)
Can anyone give me Ricc's email address or some way to contact him?

I found a possible email address for him, I'll PM it to you to rather than post it to the entire internet.

Scruffydog777 09-20-2017 05:51 PM

I found one too I used to send him money earlier in the year. I tried sending it to MA but it says he has no room in his box. I'll just confer with Ray to see if it's the same one he sent.

VitaminAlizée333 09-26-2017 03:54 PM

Couldn't people pool in money to save the forum?

Scruffydog777 09-26-2017 06:31 PM

Well I believe MerciAlizee has contacted Riccardo by now. What will come of that, I don't know and it I believe it wouldn't be saving the forum, it would be saving the files of the forum so anyone could access them through our forum or some other site if he wanted to turn those files over to someone else other than us.

As far as buying those files, I'd be willing if I saw something on the horizon from Alizee, but I see nothing. What do we have this year? We have the shepherd show which was quickly forgotten. Was there another dance work shop? I believe someone pointed out earlier this year after her instagram posts slowed down to a crawl, then suddenly picked up, supposedly because it was said she became a sponsor for some brand of headphones so it behooved her to have as many followers as possible.

We wont have DALS this year, which to me would be a blessing because it would give her the opportunity to appear in Les Enfoires, something I just mentioned in another thread, but I doubt if she'll even do that. So what do we have to look forward to? So if Riccardo asks for a good chunk of money for those files, I certainly wont be asking people to chip in as I have with so many other projects we've had here. At this point her fans keep firing up flares, but the good ship Alizée is listing heavily to port and there's no rescue ships in sight; not even the Californian!

Les Enfoires would be a nice bone for her fans. It would give her fans a chance to see her dance, but more importantly 'sing' again, but I very much doubt that will happen. So it be nice for the Alizee world to save those files, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

ALS 09-27-2017 03:10 PM

Things have changed with the new dance studio and it wouldn't surprise me that Alizée would plan on participating in Les Enfoires next year. Hear me out have you been watching the Facebook page for the new Studio?

They have a few participants from DALS coming down to visit. I'm betting Alizée would like that star power to continue to pass through their dance studio. I could see Alizée hooking up with some for her Les Enfoires friends and convincing them to come down to Ajaccio for a few days to hang out with her and Greg at the studio.

Lyonnet Danse is the new business in town, and they need to poach a number of students from the other Dance businesses in town.

Ajaccio is a small town with a number of well established dance studios in the area, she and Greg really need to stand out when they open.

Scruffydog777 09-27-2017 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALS (Post 259173)

............Lyonnet Danse is the new business in town, and they need to poach a number of students from the other Dance businesses in town.

Ajaccio is a small town with a number of well established dance studios in the area, she and Greg really need to stand out when they open.

There certainly didn't seem to be any shortage of dance schools when I was there. If they drop out of the lime light completely, they'll probably find that 'star' draw quickly dry up. Les Enfoires seems to be a no brainer which would only take a week of their time and they can both participate.

The tournée is a possibility. I'm guessing they wont have to be in every show; maybe just guest appearances in certain shows, but that might not do them any good in Ajaccio unless they are in one of the few tournée shows that will be televised, if any.

kulli 11-11-2017 08:17 PM

It seems he definitively closed the forum.:(
With an direct link you could still visit the forum and read all the forum post, only register and to posts was not possible. Now, you also get the "forum has closed down message"...