Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée Translations (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   save me. (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390)

HibyPrime 09-14-2006 09:26 PM

save me.

Ok, this question has been buggine me long enough - I can't find the answer anywhere. aFrenchie, please help me :D or anyone else with an answer for that matter.

As far as I know, you use contractions in french when you are using a personal pronoun infront of a word that starts with a vowel or a mute h.

If this is true, why do people say (and write) j'suis instead of je suis. Is it just becuase it is easier to say? or something else?

NANAKI 09-14-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HibyPrime (Post 7803)
Ok, this question has been buggine me long enough - I can't find the answer anywhere. aFrenchie, please help me :D or anyone else with an answer for that matter.

As far as I know, you use contractions in french when you are using a personal pronoun infront of a word that starts with a vowel or a mute h.

If this is true, why do people say (and write) j'suis instead of je suis. Is it just becuase it is easier to say? or something else?

got me just starting to learn french

HibyPrime 09-14-2006 09:34 PM

I first heard it in amelie m'a dit (j'suis pas belle), and I really didn't understand why the contraction was made.

NANAKI 09-14-2006 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HibyPrime (Post 7810)
I first heard it in amelie m'a dit (j'suis pas belle), and I really didn't understand why the contraction was made.

yeah I've heard it to I'll ask my French teacher tommorow

HibyPrime 09-14-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NANAKI (Post 7813)
yeah I've heard it to I'll ask my French teacher tommorow

Thanks, and who knows? You may stump him/her!

NANAKI 09-14-2006 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HibyPrime (Post 7815)
Thanks, and who knows? You may stump him/her!

dout that she used to live in France been studing it for over thirty years

aditya8617 09-14-2006 10:29 PM

save me??? I thought you were in some real trouble like you were not liking Alizee any more and stuff. but glad you are not in deep trouble.

I have already given up on learning French, just couldn't grasp it! So save me!

NANAKI 09-14-2006 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya8617 (Post 7852)
save me??? I thought you were in some real trouble like you were not liking Alizee any more and stuff. but glad you are not in deep trouble.

I have already given up on learning French, just couldn't grasp it! So save me!

really I find it quite easy to learn

garçoncanadien 09-14-2006 11:30 PM

Haha, that kind of contraction is just used to sound cute. Also, when you speak French quickly, je suis truly sounds like j'suis anyway - so it is a way to make written French sound like spoken French.

It is NOT grammatically correct to do so - You would never find that in any formal piece of French writing.

other examples:

tite/p'tite = petite

kelkes unes = quelques unes

garçoncanadien 09-15-2006 06:57 AM

oh PS - that contraction is also a sly way to mash two words into one syllable, if you needed to make some lyrics match the music better, like in Farmer's case.