Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alizée Discussion (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alizée: The Name (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5050)

user472884 09-04-2009 07:45 AM

Alizée: The Name

Any Alizée fan knows that her name is the feminine translation of "The Tradewind". Most of us only know her as the phonetic name "Alizée".

Do French speakers, in their minds, refer to Alizée as "The tradewind"?

What I mean is like, if it were translated back into English would we refer to her as "Tradewind" and nickname her "windy"?

"Next month, Tradewind releases her fourth album"... is that what French people hear?

Vorock 09-04-2009 08:32 AM

I never knew that. You learn something new everyday, huh.

Klokkeblomst 09-04-2009 10:20 AM

I never thought about that.

Criss_pl 09-04-2009 11:05 AM

I think that French always use article before word, so when the speak about tradewind they probably say 'l'alizé'. But Alizée is just french female name (not very popular), I think that they aren't wondering about that:)
Now part "Did you know?"
Alizé is also 'nickname'(?) for French anti submarine plane - Breguet br.1050 Alizé (constructed in 1960):)

Bigdan 09-04-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Criss_pl (Post 139000)
I think that French always use article before word, so when the speak about tradewind they probably say 'l'alizé'. But Alizée is just french female name (not very popular), I think that they aren't wondering about that:)
Now part "Did you know?"
Alizé is also 'nickname'(?) for French anti submarine plane - Breguet br.1050 Alizé (constructed in 1960):)

True. And btw french magazine always do plays on words with her nickname...
(Alizée, a new wind is blowing... and so on...):p

Chuck 09-04-2009 12:38 PM

L'Alizée

Apt. She's a force of nature.

Fall 09-04-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalen (Post 138988)
Any Alizée fan knows that her name is the feminine translation of "The Tradewind". Most of us only know her as the phonetic name "Alizée".

Do French speakers, in their minds, refer to Alizée as "The tradewind"?

What I mean is like, if it were translated back into English would we refer to her as "Tradewind" and nickname her "windy"?

"Next month, Tradewind releases her fourth album"... is that what French people hear?

That's what i always think about Alizée and some friends, when they tell me their name means something, I wonder if they call each other that, or if its different in some way. :confused:

Forrplay 09-04-2009 12:56 PM

A name is a name weather it means something or not, her name means "tradewind" but her name is Alizee, its like Asian names, most Chinese and Japanese names have to do with something related to their culture.

alizeeindia 09-04-2009 01:15 PM

Well, when I call a name, I don't think about the meaning of the name. Sometimes yes I do, but very rarely. And I dont think you too start thinking about the meaning as soon as you call your friend's name. We get used to the names and we rarely think about their meaning. For example, my name is 'Vineet' ( a hindi word, meaning prayer) and I dont think that you will start calling me 'prayer' as soon as I enter USA. You might someday ask me whats the meaning of your name and I would give you the answer. You may think abt it for a moment and then leave it, thats all. The names only create an impression in our mind. We cant interchange names with their meaning.

Forrplay 09-04-2009 01:20 PM

Exactly, When ever I say a name I don't think of the meaning