Alizée America Forum

Alizée America Forum (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Foreign Movies (http://alizeeamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638)

Jess 04-17-2007 02:36 PM

Foreign Movies

Because of Alizee, I'm into foreign everything now, including most recent foreign movies. I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations, and also good sugestions on where to rent them from. I'm currently using NetFlix.

brad 04-17-2007 02:53 PM

Amélie is an obvious one, but very good :)

chrelion 04-17-2007 03:17 PM

By foreign, do you only mean French or foreign from any culture?
Anyway, on that note, I recently saw City of Lost Children (by the director who did Amélie) . . . strange and somewhat abstract film, but it may be worthwhile if you're into a darker picture kind of . . . like a twisted version of Oliver in a way.

RMJ 04-17-2007 04:49 PM

Dunno about recent ones but Star Wars is pretty good.

Minno 04-17-2007 06:22 PM

Priceless (Hors de Prix) got decent ratings, starring Audrey Tautou. Not sure when it comes out on Netflix tho :blink: Delicatessan is also decent, made by the same cat who made city of lost children, a lot of the same actors.

RadioactiveMan 04-17-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brad (Post 37387)
Amélie is an obvious one, but very good :)

I bought that the other day. I got it with Fubar to take advantage of the 2 for 30 deal. \m/

Borgbike 04-17-2007 07:48 PM

Let's talk specifically FRENCH foreign movies:

My all time favorite movie (after the Forbidden Zone) is Diva. It's a fantastic movie on many levels: its "French-ness" and celibration of French culture, its very proto punk/new wave-ness. The movie is a study in the spiritual power of music and the voice, the message of love and humanity. It's also a killer thriller.

As a scooter/moped enthusiast/collector, this movie has THE ALL TIME BEST MOPED chase scene ever made period. One of the villians (played by Dominique Pinon) later went on to be a prominent actor in Amelie, Delicatessen and City of Lost Children! (He played One in City of Lost Children.) He established his credibility as a cool actor in Diva. "I hate elevators."

Jacques Tati! Mr. Hulot's Holiday is my third most favorite movie. I just saw one of his other movies, Play Time. Play Time was Mr. Tati's life's work, very ambitious but a bit challenging. It's still a beautiful film and rewarding to see, especially if you see it on the newly-released dvd which offers a fair amount of commentary and interpritation of what he was trying to achieve with the film. If you just want a charming very "French" movie, rent Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Mr. Hulot is France's answer to Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keton.

Don't forget Les Triplettes des Belleville.

sortie,
dave

Jess 04-17-2007 09:07 PM

I just saw a movie with Gerard Depardieu, who happens to be in one of Alizee's video (A Contre-Courant). The movie is called "Get Out Your Handkechiefs". I would definitely recommend it to you guys. This movie was made in 1978, and won an Oscar for best foreign film in 1979. I think Carole Laure was very pretty and I also like Audrey Tautou although she's not in this picture.

CK 04-17-2007 09:35 PM

anyone know any french movies with english subtitles?

NANAKI 04-17-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess (Post 37385)
Because of Alizee, I'm into foreign everything now, including most recent foreign movies. I was wondering if anyone had any good recomendations, and also good sugestions on where to rent them from. I'm currently using NetFlix.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK (Post 37456)
anyone know any french movies with english subtitles?

For both of you Les Choristes is a good one came out in 2004 takes place in 1949, and thats all I'm saying besides it is in France.

Here is a link if you would like to see:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372824/