View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

The Kaas example is a good one and I think Max has a valid point. We should not think in “all or nothing” terms. Alizée does not have to become a household word in the USA to call it a success. Even a small percentage of 300 million people is still a respectable number. There are many artists making very good money in the USA that don’t become household words. Just because an artist has not entered one’s sphere of awareness doesn’t mean their accomplishments are insignificant or not valid. This is what Alizée does for a living. This is what she does to pay the rent. It’s not about being a household word. You enter a new market to sell more, not necessarily to sell to everyone.

Team Alizée must analyze the situation and weigh the cost and risk against the benefits and make a business decision. They have to know to what degree they may want to penetrate the US market, if at all. They have to determine what their goals will be and what they have to achieve to consider their efforts a success. We don’t have the data so we can only speculate as to whether it makes sense or not.

Business is all about risk. You risk and you either make a gain or a loss, or you break even. Every time Alizée does anything there is a risk involved. Just think of the risk she took making this album and signing with RCA. She takes a risk every time she does an interview or walks out on that stage. She is accustomed to risk. The key is managing risk and minimizing it through knowledge. Playing it safe usually doesn’t get you anywhere.

Over on AF I read a translation of an interview in Croatia. Alizée mentioned she is doing intensive English study. I can’t help but to think that she is considering the English speaking markets as potential areas of expansion. As I’ve said before, it seems France and probably Europe as a whole no longer provides the level of sales Alizée needs to keep going at the level of her needs and expectations. Mexico has helped this time around, but what about next time? I think she needs to cultivate new ground each time she releases an album if she is to continue her career over the long haul. Eventually it may lead her to the USA. I want Alizée to have a long and successful career. If coming to the USA at some point will help, then I'm all for it.