View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 09:54 AM

Roman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixty Sixty View Post
By incessantly cutting away from Alizée to show the band members, the video editing of this show lost a considerable amount of the subtle theatrical expression that Alizée put into these performances. Out of curiosity I measured the amount of screen time Alizée received in the Fifty Sixty performance which appears to be typical of all 5 performances. The song is approximately 3:30 minutes long. Alizee received 1:30 minutes of close ups and the band members received 1:35 minutes of closeups. The remaining 30 seconds or so comprised of long shots where both Alizée and the band were visible. I'm stunned that the band members received more screen time than Alizée. The number of times they cut away from Alizée just as she looks into the camera is astonishing. In addition to that, the switching between shots had very little coordination with what the various people were doing musically. The performances are very nice which makes this style of video editing all the more unfortunate.
I know!!!! We're dealing with some real idiots here! It's like there's a general rule in France that you quickly and constantly cut away and show short clips of everything. Oh, and don't forget to get a shot or two from behind some piece of furniture or just anything that can somewhat obscure the thing you are looking at. Go back and look all all videos of Alizée from her entire career and you'll see that nonsense. They have the opportunity to know what she is going to do and plan their shots based on that, but instead it's all super generic fast cuts fast cuts. They even cut away from her when she did the 'un hic' in a really high voice on JEAM, which I would really have liked to see her expression for. So, they think since she's not dancing around that her expressions have nothing to do with carrying the song at all and it doesn't really matter when or if they show her or what angle or how close up. This is probably the thing I can criticize the most. See, that's why movie directors have 5 cameras going. Then they can edit later to show what they want when they want it. These guys usually have a few cameras and maybe for an interview they get a little clever going back behind a chair across the room occassionally, but for a performance like this, there was really no thought at all. Just keep the god damn camera angles moving like some kind of f*ing snake charmer!

Merci Fanny