View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Alizee Fan!

Ali is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibir View Post
Also don't forget there were refereeing scandals in Germany and Brazil in 2005. In 1993 Marseille was accused of match-fixing after their 1993 UEFA Champions League win. They haven't won a trophy since. In 1993 Bruce Grobbelar, goalkeeper for Liverpool, was accused of taking 4000 pounds to make sure they lost to Newcastle, which they did, 3-0. Although here no verdict was reached, so I will say that. Finally, in 1963 Esmond Million of Bristol Rovers took 300 pounds to make sure they lost to Bradford Park Avenue. This was confirmed when his team ended up tying and the truth came out. So as you can see, Italy is in NO way the only league to experience problems. Unfortuantely this is a much bigger problem then even you make it out to be. This happens in a lot of countries, and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in more and is just not uncovered. And I've probably missed some scandals.
While I don't deny these scandals, it still isn't as shocking as Juventus getting demoted from Serie A and AC Milan having deducted points. These are two of the giants in Italian football. Thats like Manchester United and Arsenal getting kicked out of the Premier League.

BTW, I wish Totti was playing, he is easily one of the creative players for Italy. It's unfortunate that he quit, I think Italy could have used him and his experience and he is not even that old! It's a bit of surprise that he quit the national team.