View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Euphoria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by espire View Post
They're getting better all the time, and no longer take much longer than a minute.

The ones that are said to be equivalent are equivalent. It's a different light, but it's there and it makes things just as easy to see or read. Perhaps you're using 13-watt bulbs which are equivalent to 50 / 60 (see what I did there?) watts of incandescent light, rather than the 26-watt bulbs which are equivalent to 100 watts incandescent.

No, you don't have to evacuate your house. These warning are horribly overstated, and you don't need to do much at all. Yes, mercury is deadly in large quantities, but a lightbulb's worth won't do any harm in an open room.

It's not a matter of tricks and copping out, it's what the government has decided is best. You are helping the environment, and you are saving energy. The lightbulbs also don't cost anything like $40; Maybe $3 for a 26-watt bulb. RadioactiveMan can help you with pricing.

There are reasons not to use compact fluorescent, but not throughout your house. You might want to use incandescent in the living room or the bedroom to set a mood (the light still has more metaphorical warmth to it), and you can't dim with CFL yet. That will be possible soon enough.

Rethink your choice, Euphoria. Congress doesn't always get it right. In fact, they didn't even get it right here, as incandescent bulbs should still be available (maybe heavily taxed). But they got the idea right; America should switch to compact fluorescent.
I bought the 100 watt equivalent, and they are not nearly as bright as a 100 watt incandescent bulb. And yes, they do take a few minutes to warm up, and even then they're still not as bright. In fact, I think they're already starting to lose strength like regular fluorescent lights.

Just because the government says its better doesn't mean it is. Honestly, I don't buy it. Sounds like another way for this country to buy shit cheap and sell it to us for double the cost. Not one of those lightbulbs is made in the United States, they are all imported from China. Also taking jobs away from our citizens.

I know what I paid for them. One package of 3 for 12 dollars. I bought 3 of them, plus tax equals about 40 dollars. I live in a larger house, and I only put them in lamps that are on a lot and are hard to reach.

I will never buy another one of these, I didn't like them before I saw this video. It just confirms a bad decision.