View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 PM
un jour une fois

espire is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée America IRC Channel

As most of us know, Alizée America has a chat room; you can get to it by clicking the "Chat" link in the site's navigation bar. However, I don't chat there much, because it's based on FlashChat, a horrible applet that makes chatting a pain. It's slow, buggy, and it doesn't integrate with IRC, the standard for Internet chatting. Alizée-Forum has a great solution; they use IRC, and have a Java-based applet on their website that automatically joins their IRC channel. For many months, I've been in that channel, since I use IRC anyway. However, it's not very busy, and those who frequently talk speak in German, which I unfortunately do not know. I eventually came to wonder why we at Alizée America don't have our own IRC channel.

Good news, our problem has been solved! Alizée America now does have its own official IRC channel. If you already use IRC and just want to know where the chat room is, here's the info you need:

server irc.dal.net
channel #alizeeamerica

If you don't know how to use IRC, you are a bit more limited right now. FlashChat doesn't integrate with IRC, as I said, so these two rooms are very separate. Unless you would like to learn to use IRC (It's really not very difficult), you'll have to wait until a chat page is set up, similar to what we have now, but using IRC. Since I don't have the powers to do that, it may be never. We'll see how things go.

I'm in the channel at any time that my computer is on; Just come on in, say my name, and if I'm around, I'll respond. I really hope that this will take off, as I think that a proper live chat room will greatly benefit our community. If anybody cares, this project has brad's blessing, so it really if official.

How we can make our IRC channel succeed:

If you already use IRC:
Join the channel! I'm the only one there right now, and it's awful lonely. Add the channel to your auto-join list. You don't even have to say anything; just be there. The more, the merrier!

If you don't know how, but you think you could handle it:
Search the Internet for a guide on how to use IRC. There are lots of guides, and it's very easy to learn. Once you're set up and running, join the aforementioned channel on the aforementioned server.

If you're a moderator:
I'd appreciate a sticky on this. It would really help the program's chances of success. If you're an administrator (that is, if you're Snatcher or brad), replacing our current Flashchat page with a Java applet similar to Alizée-Forum's would be a great idea. I'm sure it would take some work, though, so I don't implore you. Only the sticky is implored!

I hope to see lots of you on IRC soon!

~Espire

Last edited by espire; 07-27-2008 at 09:06 PM..