Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Fidèle Toujours

Cooney is on a distinguished road
Default L'Alizé

L'Alizé

All the winds,
Sweep away the heartaches
Me, I'm like the wind
My understanding moving a thousand miles an hour (1)
No doubt I make decisions too fast
That's ok, so be it
It's exactly that, I move about
I'm growing, love is too. (2)

It's at the mercy of the winds
That I like to roam,
Me, I'm like the wind
I kiss everything, an army (3)
Of dreams and of cornflowers
Draws me inside
I know what I know
Even if I cry all the time,
So say...

Stop
Telling me that the wind has changed (4)
It's not true
Please
Stop
Saying of adolescence: it's
Only "What we don't yet know," because me,
I've found my love
It's a breath, it's gentle, a wind of love:
It's light, it's the Alizé, (5)
Me, I say that love
Is drunk in full. (6)
What she wants, Alizée always has.

Like the wind
Carries away the heartache
In a hurricane
A thousand mile per hour whirlwind, (7)
I am, no doubt, like him
It's ok, I am
At the gateway to my life
I'm growing, love is too.

It's with the four winds
that I like to be housed
Me, I'm like the wind,
I carry away my secrets
In a Garden of Eden
I stretch out inside
I know that this marriage (8)
Will last a long time
So say

Stop
Telling me that the wind has changed
It's not true
Please
Stop
I've found my love
It's light, it's the Alizé,
Me, I say that love
Is drunk in full.

It's ok
It's ok
It's ok
It's ok

Stop
Telling me that the wind has changed
It's not true
Please
Stop
I've found my love
It's light, it's the Alizé,
Me, I say that love
Is drunk in full.

1: The line could be "A spirit moving 1000 mph," but as the next line talks about making decisions and judgements quickly, I prefer aFrenchie's suggested reading of her ability to understand and intellectualize the world

2: I think the sense of the line is that "I am growing, my love is too," but the lyrics lack a possessive as far as I can see. It might be implied (several words are dropped in the song, in order to make things fit), but the line as is simply refers to Love in general.

3: This set of lines caused me problems. I wasn't sure where exactly the D.O. fell, so had to make guesses based on the wording. I translated as "I kiss everything, an army / Of dreams and of cornflowers / Draws me inside," but it could well be "I kiss an entire army / of dreams and cornflowers. / I dive right in." I prefer the former, as it makes the phrasing more fluid, but it could go either way (or a third way I haven't thought of).

4: I'm not sure if "Arrêtez / De me dire" means "Stop / telling me..." or "Stop / to tell me..." Given the rest of the verse, "telling" makes much more sense in my opinion. I believe "to tell me" would use "pour" instead of "de" as well.

5: We are fortunate that we can still use the proper name "Alizé" in translation in order to maintain the play on words, without losing function. "Alizé" is the general French word for "tradewind," but it does also refer to a specific one, and the name is used in English. One can say "the Alizé" without changing the meaning.

6: Literally, "drunk down to the dregs." I use "drunk in full" as it is more widely understood - many people, sadly, wouldn't know what drinking to the dregs means.

7: "Tourbillon" is the noun, whirlwind. It's tempting to use it as a verb, to generate "a hurricane whirling 1000 mph," but that would require a conjugation of the verb "tourbillonner."

8: The word in the lyrics is "hymen" (hymen), not "hymne" (hymn). I only bring this up because I think this was consciously changed in at least one other translation, due to the translator being worried about the fact that "hymen" maintains its meaning in French for a part of the female anatomy. However, it also has the added literary meaning of "marriage," which is what it's used for here.

Last edited by Cooney; 11-19-2006 at 08:36 PM..