View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
Argh sometimes I wish Mylène hadn't gone so far with the innuendo. It works in the songs she sings herself because she's a fully grown woman with the class and character to pull it off, but Alizée was so young back then! I guess she knew from her past experience that eroticism sells, but if the innuendo is really as blatant as this explanation suggests, it certainly doesn't feel right coming from someone as young and supposedly innocent as Alizée's image suggested.

But the other way to look at it is that it certainly did sell, and I wouldn't have Gourmandises and MCE any other way.

Ahh difficult choice...
Sex indeed does sell, but I don't think it was necessary in Alizee's case. I loved Moi Lolita long before I found out what the lyrics meant and she didn't have to have the cheeks of her rear end hanging out of her outfit for me to love her performances. I loved her beautiful face, her voice and the way she danced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeerre View Post
Exactly, and that's what bothers me, it just seems wrong for any 15/16 year old girl, let alone Alizée, to be singing lyrics that could be interpreted as an allusion to losing one's virginity, especially when they are rather explicit.

I guess it's expected, and maybe even understandable, for a song based on Nabokov's novel to have several sexual innuendos, but I don't know...
It's kind of hard to believe that her parents would have allowed it. Maybe it's because the French have different values than us. Maybe it was because she loved to perform on the stage and her parents might have thought this was a golden opportunity for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue558 View Post
I always knew ML was suggestively sexual, but I never realised that it was to such a great extent! I mean that link you posted manages to find something erotic every 2 or 3 lines or so. Having seemingly complained quite a bit, I'd just like to say that I would never change anything about Alizée's early years - the sheer brilliance far outweighed the very slight drawbacks.

Very true. The song matches perfectly with the book 'Lolita', it just doesn't match Alizée's personality, and as a result portrays an manufactured image that is very different from the real Alizée.

Oh and btw Zeerre, your avatar is x1000
You're absolutely right that it doesn't match Alizee's personality and that is probably the genius of MF. If she had gotten some one like Madonna to play the part, it would have been ho hum, what's new, but casting Alizee in that role must have been a dream come true for MF. She could not have picked another person who did not look to fit the part as Lily did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
Keep in mind these are the opinions of the people who did the analysis, but the consensus at the time seemed to agree that much of what is said is probably correct.

I often wonder how far Mylene would have liked to go with lyrics for Alizée once she became an adult. I think it's one more reason why she felt she had to move on. I don't think Alizée wanted to go further down that road, and I'm not sure Mylene could have found the "voice" for the person that the adult Alizée has become. I can see why she left to seek her own voice. She had to, in my opinion.

Edit: In Mylene's defense, much of what she wrote was very good and as we all know, Alizée does owe a lot to MF/LB.
When you interpret the lyrics of Moi Lolita, you have the obvious evidence of what the book was about and the revealing outfit that they put Alizee in, so you more or less have to lean towards the sexual interpretations of the lyrics.

I think MF is an incredibly talented performer. It's too bad that so much of her stuff had to be of a sexual nature, especially when it came to Alizee. It didn't have to be to sell. L'Alize is a very beautiful song . Whether it had a sexual side to it or not, I'm not sure, but I've looked up word for word what each line meant and read the interpretations and am quite satisfied that the clean beautiful version, is the one that's right.