View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Merci Alizée

Smile Hindi (हिन्दी)

A thread for Hindi! Well, I always wanted to create one for all of us, but I always in doubt whether anyone would be interested or not. Now since VVV asked me about this so I'm going to do it. This thread is basically for those who want to learn Hindi. Well, I'm not sure how exactly will I proceed with this, but I'll try.

<hr>
<hr>

To start with, just a brief introduction. Hindi is one of the official languages of India and mother tongue of over approx 600 million people. Hindi finds it's roots in the language Sanskrit. Sanskrit is much more pure and systematic. Hindi on the other hand has absorbed features of all languages and is very flexible. So, you can find words of English, French, Bengali, Russian in Hindi. One of the features of both Hindi and Sanskrit is that the reading and writing are highly associated with each other. There is only one way to read what you write and if you know how to read any alphabet, then you can read any sentence. It's unlike English you need to know pronunciation of each word separately.

Hindi is written in Devnagari Script. It has 10 vowels and 40 consonants and 2 modifiers. It is written from left to right.

<hr>
<hr>

Hindi - हिन्दी

Devanagari - देवनागरी

That's the set of alphabets for Hindi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hindi_trans.jpg (14.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 12-22-2010 at 12:29 AM..