View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 AM
amateur phlebotomist

Chuck is on a distinguished road
Default Alizée Bublé?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasabi622 View Post
I'll be blunt. I really don't like UEDs. [...] The rest of the album is just.. monotone. There's no real passion to her singing. I mean, I guess there is, but the style of music is just not to my liking that I can't really pick up on any emotions that she adds to show her passion.
Hey Wasabs! Hi, all!

Wasabi, I'm quoting you here because I think you've nailed it. Personally, I DO like UEDS, still listen to it several times a week, but all in all, it's my least favorite Lilly album ever. (To be more accurate, I like it a lot less than Psych, but still like it a lot more than almost anything else in my record collection.)

As you said, where's the passion? Where's the fire? Where's our girl's amazing power and range? Nowhere to be found there! With all her previous work, no matter who wrote it, she always managed to shine through, to rise above the mix, and make each of those songs distinctively her own. On UEDS, I don't see any of those things. In fact, here it seems like she's just a soft, controlled voice. One that could have been replaced by any number of other vocalists. If UEDS were her only work, I would NOT have become a devoted fan. The qualities that I admire most about Alizée, especially her warm, clever (and sometimes very funny) personality, they just aren't here.

This sounds like I'm condemning the album. I'm certainly not! I still think it's great, and great art. But what if Van Gogh had suddenly decided he wanted to radically change his style - and then began creating paintings like those of Norman Rockwell or ("American Gothic") Grant Wood? It would have seemed like a huge letdown. Sure, they'd still be really, really good paintings, but in comparison - no contest!

OK, that's kinda abstract (in more ways than one), so maybe I should stick to a musical analogy. What if Mick Jagger or Neil Young suddenly chucked it all and started singing like Michael Bublé?

(SHUDDERS)...

Okay, that's my two cent's worth.