View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 12:35 AM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
They said on that tv show that the people want to see Alizée's panties. Would it had made a difference with UEDS if she had some sexy dances choreographed or sexy outfits put together for some of these songs? Surely a well put together video can do a lot for a song, but could something along those lines made UEDS a commercial success? I don't think so, but I could be very wrong. I think it's ultimately the song first that has to be very good and if it's very good, it will do well on it's own merit, but a good dance routine or video can add a great deal more to it's popularity.
There are exceptions, but I think that, in general, what makes a music album (a movie, a TV show....) appealing to the masses is about 75% marketing and hype and 25% artistic/entertainment value. You could convince the masses to buy UEDS tomorrow if you wanted to. You could convince the masses Alizée’s has reinvented herself into a really relevant artist and that UEDS is a great achievement. You can sell Celine Dion and Madonna all you want or you can make them disappear in the background. You can make Lady Gaga one day and break her the next day. The entertainment industry can create any hype it wants to. The entertainment industry decides what it wants to sell to the people and not the other way around.

BTW, I am not saying that “popular” is necessarily “crap”.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepwaters View Post
As I've said many times, there was no sacrifice in leaving Mylène. There was no way that relationship could have continued. It was targeted towards a niche that Alizée could not fill as an adult. Striking out on her own was absolutely necessary. Of course, that involves risk of stumbling. UEDS was a commercial stumble. I believe she'll find her footing and the type of music that works for her and finds her audience. By staying with M&L, all she could have done was to decline. She may fail on her own. She would certainly have failed with them.
I beg to differ. I think that Alizée/MF/LB could have run this operation for at least 10 more years if they had wanted to. They could have kept the sexual titillation going and all that was really needed was an adjustment to the lyrics (less juvenile) and some other minor details to be worked out. Apparently, Alizée wanted to explore other avenues, but I wouldn’t reject the possibility that MF/LB could have offered Alizée some other type of image that she didn’t want to be a part of.

I just don’t believe they parted away because the association could not work on the same basis anymore. I think one of the two sides wanted a change and the other side refused to go along. Speculations, of course....

Last edited by Corsaire; 01-12-2011 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts