View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 PM
... qui vous veut du bien

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty12357 View Post
@Azhiri, I like I like Eraserhead too, a I'm a big David Lynch fan as well !

@Corsaire, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the TDSOTM idea. I take their word for it when they say that they were not thinking of, or synching to TWOZ when they did the album.

Yes, there were large recording rooms with projection screens for film back then, but like I said, Alan Parsons said they did not record in such a room. I could imagine them setting up a small TV with a VCR hooked up to it, but of course TDSOTM was recorded in 1972-73 and Sony Beta and VHS didn't come out until 1975. And writing and recording music to a stopwatch would be extremely difficult at best.

There is one other point I would like to mention. I think the TDSOTM/TWOZ idea somewhat detracts from the original concept of the album. And how they recorded this album without computers and samplers in a totally reel-to-reel, analog world is an incredible accomplishment without the TWOZ connection. For those who are interested, check out "The Making of The Dark Side of the Moon". It is a documentary about how this album was created, with interviews and footage of them in the studio doing the recording. If anyone is into this album or interested in music and recording in general, I'd say the documentary is a must-see. Here's a link to it, but the quality isn't the greatest.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3019071105716#
Yes, I guess we will have to agree to disagree here Lefty. I do not believe one needed a VCR machine or any other “sophisticated” instrument to accomplish that feat in 1972-73. I have a keyboard in my basement and I can assure you that I can write 10 to 20 pieces to fit perfectly to any movie of my liking (and no, I do not pretend to be an accomplished musician or to know the details of how to record an album). I can ask other musicians to join in and add to whatever I have written. Between each pieces, I can add some filling (sound bites and sound effects) so to make it fit to perfection to the said movie. It really isn’t that difficult. Really. You just concentrate on key moments and let the rest fall where it does.

Nick Mason says in that documentary you linked to (at 18:10): “And then, the very critical thing of the tapes starting at specific moments which is all done with hand signs and stopwatches.” Can you get less sophisticated than this?

As far as matching TDSOTM to TWOO taking away from the original concept of the album, that is implying that you do know yourself what the original concept was.

Last edited by Corsaire; 06-01-2011 at 12:37 AM..