Thread: Youpidou
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the help Bigdan.

I have to correct myself on one point. Where I said "
Take a look at the line J'ai le moral au grand zero, which they translate a I am feeling really down which is close but a more literal translation is my moral is a big zero.", I should have used morale in stead of moral near the end of that sentence.

JoeNY, I have to disagree with you about not trying to know the lyrics to her French songs. I had 2 years of French way back in junior high school. That was over 30 years ago. It's been a long time, but still it was a tremendous help in me trying to learn some of her French songs, but then again it's been a slow long process with some of her songs.

I've learned 12 of her songs and I am working on Tempete right now and will work on Coeur deja pris after that.

With Youpidou, at first I thought the title sounded so juvenile, I never really listened to it. Then a couple of my co-workers that I had given dvds to in which I put Youpidou on as just kind of a filler at the time, told me it was a beautiful song, so I gave it a good listen and it is one of my favorites. It's kind of a simple story but at least it's understandable which some of her English versions aren't.

I know the all the words to the French version of Youpidou, but not so the English version and that's mainly because I find the most important part of remembering the words to a song whether it be in English or French is I have to be able to remember the story it is telling. The Englis version does not tell a smooth, easy to follow story.

The French version of the song tells a simple story, but it's easy to remember and so it was easy for me to learn the French lyrics.

Gourmandises, J'ai pas vingt ans, moi lolita and some others tell relatively simple stories but stories that are relatively easy to remember which makes them relatively easy to learn.

Songs like Lou ou toi and L'Alize are a little more involved especially the latter. Took considerably longer to learn L'Alize but it was well worth it. It is an awesome song to sing along with as is ACC.

I tried to learn PLP but found it was written in such poetic terms I'd guess you'd call it, that I had a very difficult time remembering the stoy and therefore a tough time learning the song. I gave up on it, but may revisit it at a later date.

Last edited by Scruffydog777; 07-28-2011 at 05:18 PM..