View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:18 PM

BrianO1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffydog777 View Post
Well I think we could incorporate some type of system, the question is which. I think it might be a good idea to have something where you could give a thumbs up to a thread. I think the benefit of that would be in the way we store threads. When you looked let's say in the discussion forum, the first threads you should see should be and I'm just throwing out a figure here is threads that were posted on in the past cou;le of weeks. After that, maybe it would be good to post the threads that had the most thumbs up, making it easier to find popular threads.
The problem with that is, if a thread is still popular, it will still be near the top of the page. Or at least on the first page. We don't want to store them based on over all popularity. An example would be, say, LE 2008. That thread was popular at the time, but obviously now, does not need to be held at the forefront.

If a thread is popular, then it will remain active, thus, will remian at a high point on the page, automatically.

Quote:
As far as thumbs down or dislikes, you could vote thumbs down on a thread, but it would only keep tally of the votes made in the past couple of weeks. Because there are often threads that are good, that may go off topic into an area that is very controversial, seeing a lot of thumbsdown on a thread could give a heads up to a mod, that something is amiss. It could warn them to tell members to get back on subject, in which case a good thread will stay active and will eventually lose the no votes it didn't deserve.
I don't think that is needed either. If something horrible is said, members need to use the report button. As for off topic...it happenes, and if it gets too bad, one of the mods, who should already be watching, can clean it up. Plus if we give a thread "bad" marks for simply going off topic, members may skip over a perfectly good thread, thinking its full of badness, when in fact it just a little off topic chit chat.

Another problem with the idea of a rep system or what not, is new members. When I first joined these forums, I would feel a bit scared to disagree with a member who had 75975387596397592763 posts, to my 4. A reputation system could do the same thing. Members may not want to disagree with a member who has a "we all love this member" rep, if they themselves only have a "wait, when did this guy join?" rep. We want new members to feel like their views and opinions matter, and are vauable, regardless of post count and reputation status.

At the end of the day, we all know the members that make constant good posts, and we know the members who make the....not so good posts. (Looks at Azhiri)

While overall it's not a bad idea, and I'm sure it works great on other boards, I just don't think this forum needs something like that.

Last edited by BrianO1; 06-04-2012 at 11:23 PM..