Thread: Bullying.
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM
Mr. Mike

Future Raptor Ace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhiri View Post
Okay guys, I tried to think of ways that this thread could go horribly wrong, and I concluded that if we can all focus on the topic at hand and exercise restraint and maturity (we are indeed all adults here), this can be a good discussion - if people are interested, that is.

Bullying has always been a really close topic for me. Lately I've been thinking about it more because of the whole Amanda Todd fiasco (I can give my opinion on that, but some of you won't like it) and the questions it brings up - namely:

1. Bullying will always be a part of life, that's inevitable - but when does it become excessive? Where does the "normal" urge to hurt others (kids will be kids, it was just a joke, etc) end and personal, moral responsibility begin? How much bullying should one put up with before it can be considered a legitimate problem?

2. What makes people like Amanda Todd more important than the many, many other suicides related to bullying?

3. What are some practical ways to help prevent bullying in a school setting?

In this thread, I want to hear your stories, your opinions on bullying, thoughts in general.. anything and everything you have to say on this subject. Again, keep it civil, this thread should be a place to say whatever you need to say without being judged or picked on.
I dont know how to answer numbers 1 and 2 however ill give my best shot at 3.
I think the problem with bullying is the bully is in a win win scenario. They look kool and strong in front of their friends by weakening someone else. If they get caught and punished, they still look kool and tough. The problem is people admire and fear these bullies at the same time, they want the power and they dont want to be the victim so they go along with the bully or turn the other cheek. This is why I feel forcing other kids to stand up to bullies is the wrong approach when really turning the other cheek is the better road to take. It is not the kids where the problem lies but it is with the adults. The punishment for bullying is not effective these days. Most of the time the bully is extremely defiant and does not really mind the punishment and like said before has their image untarnished. However if you change that then the bullies will be afraid to get caught because it will effect their image. The easiest way I can think of to accomplish this is public shaming/humiliation. Now the bully appears weak in front of the audience they are trying to impress and it ruins the hierarchy of their dominance. Now obviously their should be a line drawn somewhere on to what magnitude justifies this punishment but I shall leave that to the law makers ... but I feel what I have come up with is a definitely solution as for I have been thinking about it for years. I went to a really bad NYC high school in which 70% of the school consisted of drug dealers and bullies. Then the other 20% was the people who where "whanna-bes" and admires and the remaining 10% were the victims. LOL I remember I had this big guy have my back every time I let him cheat off me in math ... but on days where he didnt I did not have a good day (I can laugh about it now since it was 5 years ago but it was hell then)

LETS GO YANKEES! CONGRATS ON #4 GIANTS!