View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator

lefty12357 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
“Almost” live? Lefty, I think you will be the first one to agree that it has become impossible to tell what has been done to a voice recording with today’s technology. Pitch correction can be applied in such manner that it is undetectable, even by audio professionals, and countless people in the business have corroborated this fact. So, if that particular Alizée performance is indeed from a studio recording, no one can tell how good it was to start with. Also, I don’t think that one can listen to an Alizée (or any other singer) recording and find telltale signs, to prove that her voice was not corrected, or only slightly corrected. The fact that there might remain slight imperfections in Alizée’s recordings doesn't convince me that no correction were applied.
By "almost live" I mean it is a studio recording, but the takes are usually live without doing punch-ins. Another words, it's not much different than recording a live show, but you have much better control over the acoustics and background noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
Additional comments on the complexity of producing live shows

I really don’t think it is that difficult to set up a stage with a piano, one a two violins, a bass, a guitar and percussions. That would have been plenty to accompanied a live rendition of Hélène by RV and Alizée. There is a very popular show in Québec called “Belle et Bum” that has been broadcasted every week for years and I would doubt it has even 5% of the resources that were invested in “Les Année bonheur”.
It is more difficult than you think. However many shows do it all the time because they are dedicated to doing live performances and are willing to put forth the effort to do it. And there are some shows that broadcast live performances and don't do such a great job. I'm not defending any TV show that chooses to go the easy route, I'm simply saying that one of the reasons these shows will prerecord performances is to avoid the effort and/or to avoid unfortunate incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapinschous View Post
I very much agree with the above and share Corsaire's point of view as far as her singing skills are concerned . Let's face it, one has to be of terribly bad faith not to acknowledge Lili's systematic shortcomings when performing live.

Her Asian promo tour of 2003 provides some interesting content since the japanese and koreans couldn't allow her to lip-synch in front of their audiences.

We can clearly hear that she doesn't dare to sing much louder, (well actually she never dared to sing much louder than that in her entire career!) , likely afraid of losing control over her singing , knowing that she was born with a much weaker and softer voice than most singers. She's quickly out of breath , obviously lacks training and doesn't have the confidence required to go high pitch .
Actually, it pretty much sounds like Alizée to me. I wouldn't expect her to sound much different. It's too bad they did such a terrible job matching the vocal to the playback music. You get a lot of direct sound from the playback and a lot of bad room acoustics on the voice.

Here are a few more live vocal performances to compare:

http://youtu.be/2yMVGtnrTj0

http://youtu.be/WP9LYD_Am4A

And to no one in particular I would say that this is how Alizée sounds. This is how she has always sounded, sometimes better, sometimes worse. I would think that people who like her and have listened to her for years would be aware of this. As I said before, I think she should practice, practice, practice. But I wouldn't expect any major change in her voice at this point.