View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 PM

Wizard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I have a question. Why are so many of you so concerned about the commercial 'success' of Alizee's recordings?

There are thousands of excellent musicians and singers all over the world who have long careers making music and who have their loyal fans but who never have 'top 10' or 'top 20 hits'. It does not prevent them from continuing to make music that some people enjoy and that they enjoy making. In fact I would go so far as to say that not bothering about major commercial success gives the artists the freedom to make the music that they want to make rather than some contrived piece of garbage designed to appeal to the masses. If we like the music then what do we care if no one else does?

So, I repeat the question: why are some of you so hung up about commercial success?
Panther makes a very good point. There are so many outstanding and talented musicians operating on an independent basis, who probably don't care about compromising their independence and artistic vision in order to satisfy some corporate goon in a suit. Maybe Alizée is one of those artists; she seems to behave in that manner, and it's one of the reasons I like her. She's going to do what she wants to do, and I'm cool with that. Besides, the world is full of mainstream pop garbage, and case in point, shows like American Idol, the Voice, etc., (at least in the United States) are hell bent on mass producing mediocrity. They all sound the same. We don't need more of that crap.

I think an answer to Panther's question is that many of her fans simply want to see more of her and see her reach a higher level of recognition, not only in France, but other countries as well, including the United States (unlikely as it may be). We're here because we like her, and we want more people to know of her. The smarter she markets herself, and her label promotes her, the more the rest of the world gets to see and hear her- and that's a good thing. But, if that doesn't happen, I will still follow her. I'm pretty sure she will continue to record albums. Excellent point Panther!

Last edited by Wizard; 03-20-2014 at 12:00 AM..