View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by P♠N View Post

On may the 5th 1992 a hastily built part of the football stadium in Corsica collapsed. Of the ten thousand people there, over 3000 were injured, many disabled for life. 18 were killed.

People were transported from Bastia to Ajaccio via helicopters all night long. Thanks to the blood transfusions there a lot of them were saved.

The disaster was brought on by human error, stupidity and corruption.

A petition was started to ban football games in France on may the 5th.

The general public was outraged by the mild punishments of those in charge. Many of the accused didn't end up in prison, some were sent to jail for 2 years. The president of the Bastia sports club ended up getting shot in the head.

Here's a reportage. The most important part starts around 2:20

LINK

It's not an easy thing to watch.
It's not gory.
But it's not easy to watch.
Thanks for posting this.

Well I had known Marseille had long been a haven of organized crime and I thought it being just a hop skip and a swim away from Corsica, might have been an influence on it. I did a little reading on line and found this is and it looks like Corsica too has a long history of o.c. So it should be no surprise that we learn of corruption at all levels in Corsica.

"The Unione Corse is a secret society and criminal organisation operating primarily out of Corsica and Marseilles in France.[1] The Unione Corse were the primary organisers of the French Connection, the monopoly that controlled trade in heroin between France and the United States of America and was active from the 1950s to the 1970s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unione_Corse