Thread: 24 hr HELP!
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 PM

Merci Alizée is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray4AJ View Post
I'm choosing 'B'.

fraud doesn't work because bumbling professors are funny in films.
effigy doesn't work, it's not used for to describe an actual person.
and canard just seems to not fit, but I can't really describe why.

I'm certain someone else can provide the correct choice, and better reasoning.
Thanks Ray!

I didn't know the meaning of canard and I had never used this word earlier. I had used rest of the words, but I don't think I that the meaning of embodiment was clear to me.

I had marked effigy/character in the test and it was the wrong answer.

These are just mock tests and I have to appear for the actual test in Nov 3rd week.

There are 2 sections of the tests - 1. Quantitative aptitude and Data Interpretation and 2. Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning. I guess I'll manage first section on my own. My score in second section is decent as of now, but I'm rarely sure with my answers. There is no consistency. I mark what seems to be the best option for verbal part. But I have to improve accuracy and be very sure why I'm choosing one option and not the other. That's why I thought I'll start posting question and ask members if they can explain everything in detail.

What I can do is that I'll post questions and answers of all questions and I'll explain my answer. Please guide me whether my understanding is correct or not.

The delicious and vast menu choices _______ the authentic and quaint décor.
Add to Bookmark
a contribute to the popularity of the Chinese restaurant, as does
b contributes to the popularity of the Chinese restaurant as greatly as
c contributes as greatly to the popularity of the Chinese restaurant as do
d contribute to the popularity of the Chinese restaurant, so do

I got this one right in the test. However, I was confused with the answer. From what I know, whether to treat collective nouns as singular or plural is perception based and often depends on author/speaker's intentions.

Delicious and vast menu choices are not being treated as unit, that's why I chose contribute. Decor is singular, that's why option a.

Last edited by Merci Alizée; 10-15-2014 at 08:36 PM..