View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
I don't think that's true. Compare France with England. Over the course of modern music, British songwriters have cranked out mega-hit after mega-hit--- whereas French songwriters have done nothing of the sort.

Where is the French Beatles?
Where is the French Rolling Stones?
Where is the French Moody Blues?
Where is the French Led Zeppelin?
Where is the French Supertramp?

The list goes on and on...

Has there ever been a world-class French rock band??? Can you name a single one??? Just one???

Aside from Boudennat, French songwriters aren't anywhere near as good as British songwriters.

Do you see what I mean?
I know what you mean, when it comes to rock. The crowned champion of rock is definitely the UK. But I was talking about pop. I didn't specify the time frame, but I also meant in recent years, not of all time. Sorry about the confusion.

Popular music over the last decade or so, save a few songs here and there, has been pretty awful in my opinion. Maybe if I was 21 I would feel different because it would be the music I grew up with. But the bands you list, those were the ones I grew up with, and I can add dozens more to that list. Those days were incredible for rock, and I was spoiled.

I have spent some time listening to the songs of French artists, mainly the ones I get exposed to from Les Enfoires. I watch their videos on YouTube, and it is like taking a breath of fresh air. Plus, I don't have to deal with the twerking.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eru777 View Post
Jean Michel Jarre was so popular in the 80s that he used whole cities as a backdrop for his live concerts. He was also the first Western artist to be invited to perform in China.
He played Houston in 1986 and I was living there at the time. The downtown glass skyscrapers were his backdrop. It was quite spectacular.

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 01-30-2019 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doubleposts