View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 02:15 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Coucou View Post
Same with me.

In your opinion, when do you think music "went bad"??? For myself, I'd say around 2003. For me, there was some really good music in the late 90's to early 00's.

I think 9-11 was a sort of cultural turning point, or something; the country hasn't been the same since. I don't think 9-11 "caused" the decline--- the problems have been festering for decades. Let me give an example: In 2000, Madonna did a version of "American Pie". The video is on youtube--- and someone commented about how the video reminded them of pre-9-11 America, and how much they missed pre-9-11 America.
I can list countless bands whose first (and maybe second) albums were phenomenal, then they become "pop-ish". Not too long ago I watched a documentary on the band Kansas, who started as more of a progressive rock band back in the day. They started getting enormous pressure by the label to start writing "hits" and they eventually lost their identity and sold out. Cheap Trick, a band from my home town, same thing. Foreigner, Scorpions, Queen, etc. all made it big, but they abandoned who they were, which in my opinion was defined by their early material.

So the trend for music "going bad" has gone on for quite some time.

Here is a very good video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI

Last edited by CleverCowboy; 01-31-2019 at 02:20 PM..