View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Neutral Good

RedRafe is on a distinguished road

Alrighty…

Lets see what is happening, with regard to Instagram posts, and such…

Not a lot really…

Jo Jacotey has been posting some cool shots of what I’m pretty sure is Ajaccio, and his local area...

If you want to “check them out”, go see ‘em now, hurry, hurry, for he always changes his stuff out pretty quickly…

As always, good stuff…

Annily, on her IG page posted a really pretty good “pic” of a street in Ajaccio, which really kind of aptly "showcases" the “building style” and “architecture” of the area...

Again, a good shot, this “little”, “little” lady may just have a “good eye” for a “subject”, and, some “skills”, don’t you know.

Never been to Ajaccio, and my only experience of Corsica was 3 days spent on a military base up by Calvi, where we ran a “combat diving” training course for the FFL, and then I spent most of all of my time there either “in” the water, or “on” it.

So, all I really saw was some pretty spectacular coastline, but that was it, and that was, ooooh, 30 years ago, maybe, so, I can’t really say I saw much of “anything”.

Who knows, maybe one day, you never know…

Now, speaking about Corsica, a pair of “Okie” friends of mine have just returned from a months vacation there, and they were so “disappointed”, for everything looked so “run down” and “old”, and “quaint”, and the food was just so “bland” and “tasteless”...

Well, I’m sorry, I laughed until I was nearly sick…

Y’see, they are from a little town, Collinsville, just maybe about 10 miles North-West of me, and there is a billboard on one of the walls of a building on the “main street” there, with the caption, “Historical Collinsville”.

Now, I love “historical stuff”, so, I just had to ask them, so where is it, where is “all the history at”???

I don’t know quite what I was expecting, but, maybe some ancient “Indian ruins”, or something…

Wellll, they turned around and pointed at a couple of buildings, and said there, look, these were built in the 40’s and 50’s…

I’m sorry, I couldn’t help it, I laughed, long and hard, and the incredulous expressions on their faces just made it worse…

Y’see, I’m used to being literally “surrounded” by “history”, for my “hometown/place of birth”, and the surrounding area is just covered in “Castles”, and “Roman ruins”, and “Iron age ruins” and “Iron-age standing stones”, and all sorts of “historical” stuff, so I kind of don’t regard stuff from the 1940’s and 1950’s as really being what I would regard as being “historical”, compared to what I am “used” to, if that makes any sense.

And there, “in a nutshell”, was my friends problem with Corsica…

They had no real concept of “time” and “history”, until I explained what they had seen and experienced…

But that’s another post, later, maybe…

Last edited by RedRafe; 05-13-2019 at 10:48 PM..