View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall View Post
I disagree that it's an exception and not the rule. Part of the appeal of both rock & roll and hip-hop is to shake things up, to rebel with and without a cause. This naturally leads some to interpret it as vulgar, but it is appreciated down the line.
And yet we have code of conduct on AAm regarding vulgarity. It may not be written down somewhere, but it is implied. If the f-bomb and everything else you might hear in popular songs is just our culture, why not just have a free for all on this forum and allow everything? The rules against it is not to protect a member or lurker who might be under 18, because they probably know way more choice words than I do.

Quote:
I find that a lot of that is due to kids disconnecting from education and learning environments and focusing instead on the problems in their communities and across the globe. As a substitute teacher I've talked to a lot of students with difficult situations at home; while a good education may well be their ticket out of that, their everyday reality simply takes up too much of their young lives. It's unfortunate that the youngster has picked up profanity that early. I myself believe that there's a time and a place for it. However that is not so much hip-hop's fault as it is the parenting.
My older son is a teacher at a charter school in Austin. Inner city kids, 10-11. It's like a zoo and he wants out. Lots of problem kids and he nor the principal or anybody else can administer any kind of discipline for bad behavior. No detention or suspension or sticking them in a corner or anything else that seemed to work pretty good in times past. Nobody wanted to get sent to the principal's office because he had a paddle on the wall and will call your parents after he is done, then you get a paddling from your father for good measure.

Kids should be focused on being a kid, but they are focused on growing up too fast. And now they are being told the earth will end in 10 years when it's not. I feel sorry for them.

Parents have their hands tied as well. A bad kid doesn't mean bad parenting. I've seen great kids with lousy parents, bad kids with good parents, and a combination of the above. There is a genetic component. My niece is nothing like her two other siblings who are the exact opposite.

Quote:
Although I'm not a big fan of some of the more recent trends and subgenres of hip-hop, I really doubt that will be the case, but I guess we'll see in the next 10-15 years
It will be slow, but it will come.