View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Tough subject!
A lot of people in this country don't speak French and a lot of times when they hear the words of a song and don't understand it, they are put off, so you'd kind of like to play one "her" English songs and that's not going to work, because MF did a poor job of writing the lyrics for them. The last thing you'd want to do is to have them hear the line "I'm foamely ecstatic".
"Her" one great English song is Amelie, but that's not going to grab them like a song like J'en ai marre will

If I could get them to watch one video, I'd probably play one I put together callled "A Sixpack of Alizee" which has segments from 6 of her songs. If who ever you get to watch it is getting a little tired of one song, then in short order, another song comes along. It has so many great looks of her.

I'll relate how I introduced my coworkers to her over 10 years ago. I was an aircraft mechanic (just retired). I would work the night shift and our shift would last until 2 hours after day shift showed up. Duing those last couple of hours is when all the overnight work is done and we just sit around waiting in case any of the early departures would break.

Well Saturday mornings when we were waiting for planes to break, was designated as "Music video Saturday", where we'd watch the music video channels. Well one morning when day shift showed up and the music videos came on, I walked up to the dvd player and amid a lot of grumbling, put in a dvd without telling anyone what it was. These guys were mesmerized for the next hour. It was time for me to go home so I left the dvd for them to watch and I got a lot of complaints because someone else had taken the dvd.

The first song on that dvd was "La Isla Bonita". Before I emphasized "her" songs because this one isn't one of her songs, but of course it's a great song. This would probably be the best video you to play first, before you played something like "A Six pack of Alizee". This way someone who sees it and is attracted to her beauty, voice or dancing will want to know more. Where as if you play a video like Moi Lolita Amsterdam if they don't like her, they'll think you're into young girls and similar thoughts would form if they didn't like JEAM. La Isla Bonita is safe. Again, if someone likes it, then, you break out the heavy artillery.

If someone is interested in her, I think I'd also let them know right away that these songs from back in 2003. That might be a disappointment to them, but it's better they find out from you rather than someone in the background saying that's almost 20 years ago!

As far as your family. I'll tell you another story about a young man who joined this forum when he was still in high school. On one of my first trips to Paris, I picked up some Alizee memorabilia and I believe I got an autographed cd for him. I mailed them to him when I got back. He had very strict parents and he kept watching for the mailman, hoping to get the package before his parents but they got to it first and they asked him "Who is this guy in Boston and what did he send you?", o he showed his dad a video and to his surprise he was okay with it.

As far as wallpaper, maybe this patch might be a good thing to have. It's from an AWACS squadron in Europe. Someone might ask you about it, then voila. But in a case like that where a few seconds mean a lot, I'd have a custom made video ready to play. If you just started playing J'en ai marre pour Laurette. It takes her several seconds to walk out on stage, then she stands there for several seconds and though she looks incredible, the first part of the music and the dance are kind of awkward with the music seeming to include kazoo type sounds to it. So you have to be ready with that heavy artillery right away, such as this here https://youtu.be/Rbw_c7THPhg?t=91, except I wouldn't have it as link, I'd have the custom made video on my desktop just a click away.

E3A squadron patch.jpg

If they saw that and wanted to see more, that would probably be a good time to play the Six pack of Alizee video. They get to see parts of 6 of her performances in the time it would usually take to watch one.

EDIT:

I just saw Bamagirl's posted just shortly before me and I think the thing about being in the car is a great idea if they have a cd player or some other way of inputting music into their system. I'd start off the playlist with La Isla Bonita. It's safe. Most people like it. Then I'd play Amelie (English version). After that it's hard to say. I wouldn't play Moi Lolita so if it's going to be a French song, I think I'd pick Hey Amigo or J'en ai marre. Though Jeam has kind of a corny beginning music wise, I love the music in the rest of the song. Youpidou English version might be another good one to have on there. Though there's problems with the lyrics, I love her voice and the beat of the song.

If you