View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
Also, Discord has been evolving, with features being added, removed and some now requiring a monthly subscription payment. My teenage daughter uses Discord. She chats with people about online gaming—which, I believe, is the main focus of most Discord use. She recently negotiated with us for a $4.99 monthly fee to add features. I could foresee a time when all users would be required to pay to access the service—or to upload videos, photos, etc.
I’m not sure how, exactly, the files are stored—I know that the software can be both cloud-based and also installed on a user’s hard drive. What happens to them if Discord starts charging for storage?
You actually bring up a very important point here - cost.

Having a site on Discord might attract current users of Discord because they are already paying a fee. However, would somebody join Discord and pay the fee only to have access to an Alizee channel?

I did some reading on the company. It has 300 million users and a $3.5 BILLION valuation. If you have been following tech trends, a hugely successful startup like this eventually gets bought out by big tech. For the two 30-something year old founders, the prospect of becoming an instant billionaire by selling out is hard to resist. The new owner can do whatever they want. Change the pricing structure and functionality are just for starters.