View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 02:58 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
Ground is called as pitch and it is prepared by groundsmen and they do it by putting layers of different type of soil. It's a skill and idea is to produce a good ground which lasts for 5 days without much indentation.

If it is too flat, it favors batters too much. If it is too rough, it will help pitcher too much. They need to strike balance.

Not just bounce but trajectory also matters.

1. Dry, rough surfaces of India - mainly because of heat - helps slow pitches who spin the ball by imparting revolutions. Bounce is low

2. Surfaces with some grass - helps fast pitches in moving the ball.

3. Hard surfaces of Australia - bouncy tracks - good for batters and pitchers boths.

Additionally wind, moisture play role in swing and form important factors in executing skills of pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tGaoSz14g
Thanks Merci Alizee. Very interesting stuff on that video. That guys bowl at the 5 minute mark was crazy!

I found a wiki site that compares and contrasts baseball to cricket. I think what struck me the most was the differences in what would be a normal score for a game, with cricket being substantially higher.

I am a big baseball fan who has visited more than half the ballparks in the states. My goal is to visit them all over time, but this covid stuff has put a wrinkle in my plans for the time being.

I know a lot of people consider baseball too slow and boring, but I find the strategy aspect of the game enhances the enjoyment. There are many instances where a losing team comes from behind to win a game when they were a single strike away from losing. It can be so unpredictable and proves the game is not over until that last out is made. Does cricket have the same kind of intensity, with miracle comebacks and all that?