View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 09:39 AM

Ben.Daly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post

Edit:

I never heard the term "reaction video"--maybe that describes these better. I just looked it up, and it seems to apply mostly to the emotional reaction to a video rather than to a discussion. Vlogs, on the other hand, historically at least I believe, were mostly about the blogger's personal experiences. So...maybe these are a new thing that need a new term!
Reaction videos are huge on YouTube, and been around for a long time. They can be for anything really, Music Videos, Memes, Trailers, Pranks, etc. Some are for the pure reaction, some are more discussion based, even videos where the YouTuber makes jokes or even skits about the content of the video can fall under the genre name. It doesn't really have many restrictions, though the ones as you described that have the pure emotional reaction are the most prominent.

The Fine Bros (now known as just 'React') are one of the most successful and oldest examples of a channel built around the genre, though they've also expanded beyond reacting to just YouTube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0v...?view=0&sort=p

'Vlogs' in the current sense are as you described, not really related to reaction videos at all. I wouldn't say a new term is necessarily needed for the sort of videos in this thread, they're pretty standard for the reaction genre.