View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 08:54 AM

Elise is on a distinguished road

I think we have a common understanding now. No need to apologise for long-windedness. Yes, and we see this influence in many other ways, American culture (not just music) is impossible to avoid. It’s inevitable everyone will hear something related to it.

You might find you prefer certain languages for certain genres then, for example you like Japanese best in rap, French in rock or whatever. I heard a contrast expressed that French singers of the 20th century focused more on the poetic text and deep messages of the lyrics, whereas English singers focused on the sound without the lyrics being too important. It’s a big generalisation to make and I can think of exceptions both ways but overall something reasonable. So the language barrier may be less important for enjoyment in this sense, all depending on what you like of course. There is also a huge amount of promotion and marketing that America is good at that contributes to the success and spread of its culture internationally, this includes the music.

Well different sorts of words fit better for different types of song. English is not the only language with loads of one-syllable words, the most common words in any language tend to be one syllable and those are also good for catchiness of melody. Papaoutai and Alors on Danse by Stromae do it well, and I think the catchiness is mostly due to the sound even without knowing the words.