View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 03:43 PM
Administrator

CleverCowboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise View Post
Then I was confused about popularity. It is not a bad thing, I am just trying to be realistic. With or without quotas, I think most artists including English ones have careers that last 5 years or so, those that last longer are the exception. Even iconic Mylène with the people who do like her songs is no longer as mainstream.

Yes I know Louane, I listen almost exclusively to French music (way superior music). More popular these days is to listen to rappers like JuL, Damso, OrelSan, Nekfeu, MHD, maybe Niska.
I'm curious as to where Mylene's career will go. You are correct in that Mylene is no longer mainstream. Her album sales took a real plunge after the 1999 album and never recovered. She can still pack the largest concert venues and I think as long as she can still perform, she will continue to draw large audiences.

There will always be a market for music that is pre-mainstream. A lot of people don't like rap. At least in the US, some of the old rock bands from the 70's and 80's figured it out and came out of retirement and tour to sing their old songs. Two or three tour together and sell out shows.

Alizee still might become a national icon of France but only time will tell. Her songs, even though no longer mainstream, might become timeless like these other artists are discovering.