View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Alizée's Watch-Dragon

Deepwaters is on a distinguished road

My, that's going to be a tough one.

I happen to live in one of the few places in the world that can compete with France for quality of wine production, northern California. In international competitions the two regions are on each other's heels, but the flavor from each, while both very good (at their best) is rather different. The soil of France is chalky and produces a more woody taste to wine, while California wines are fruitier even when very dry. I had some fun once at a winery in Napa County that's owned by Taittinger and produces sparkling wine (which, in deference to their parent company, they don't call "champagne"), tasting some of the best local product and also some imported from Champagne, to illustrate the difference. "Hmm, not sure which of those is better. I can't decide. Better try both again."

I think I would probably have to go with that pinot noir mentioned earlier, and I would get it from Navarro Vineyards, pretty far north of here. I've never seen their wine in stores, only rarely in restaurants, and I very much doubt it ever leaves this country, but the reds in particular are heavenly. Sometimes I take a trip up that way, stay at a cabin near the ocean, go hiking in the hills nearby or along the beach, and drop by the winery for a tasting and to pick up a few bottles of their best.

I can understand being wary of alcohol, and nobody should drink to excess or drive while even mildly intoxicated. But to deprive yourself of it altogether, unless medically necessary, is a shame. Not only wines, but some beers and spirits are works of art. I would feel seriously deprived if I never again could taste Guinness Extra Stout or some of my favorite single-malt Scotch.