View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 04:06 AM

Rev is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn View Post
I could care less if you speak your native language in America just don't expect me to reply I ONLY speak English I was not saying that French that don't speak English should try to speak I was saying if they speak it and I don't speak French at all they could try to help me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
What most people fail to realize is that our citizens are a lot alike. Just like I won't even bother with somebody who comes up and tries to instigate a conversation in Spanish without so much an "hablas espanol," a Frenchman won't converse in English if you don't try to speak in French.

Its a 60 year old article, but so much of that still holds true today. I think I'll spread it around a bit.
I have always been more than willing to try to help someone visiting the USA, who does not speak English, with whatever limited language skills I have (as long as they are not rude - and they almost never are). I am proud of this country, and am delighted that they chose to visit it. At that moment, I am America to them, and I want them to see us in our best light.

I have also been in France several times. The issue of whether they are willing to speak English or not seems to be generational to some extent. Those from the World War 2 era and after were much less willing to than those in their teens and twenties. I also noticed that the French, in general, have become more willing over the yers to speak English than they used to be.

Last edited by Rev; 10-07-2007 at 04:08 AM..