View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Cracka!

Shep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty Old Man View Post
Well, for one thing, I could guarantee that this plane wouldn't be leaving from or headed to France, because France would be on my travel itinerary right after I wrapped up my week in Hell. So, maybe I could be forgiven since we wouldn't actually be in France, and if this custom of asking about family isn't some sort of horrific social sin wherever we happened to be, then taking offense would be out of place.

Just my usual luck ... trying to be polite, nice and civil ... only to have some woman think I'm a lower life form. And people wonder why I don't "try".

Fine. She can sit there and read a book the entire flight for all I care. And if that's rude, well, I learned it from the inventors of rude : the French.

But I'm not bitter.

Ali's been to many different countries, so I'm sure she'd understand. Just saying your chances of becoming a friend of hers is better if you... appeased*... her cultures rules of ettiquette.

*Yes, a dangerous word when describing the French.
"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late." - Jack Handey