View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Schwazzy, baby !

The Cap is on a distinguished road

En Concert WAS, indeed, mastered in HD ... 1080P, I believe. The original DVD source files are 720x576 at 25fps interlaced, if my memory is still working. I've done a conversion for NTSC compatibility which resulted in a 720x480 at 29.997fps progressive with internal flagging to 24fps using playback hardare pulldown. Aside from a few minor compression artifacts here and there, it looks pretty good on a Sony WEGA CRT and a few plasma wide-screens I've tested.

Certainly it's possible to re-encode the original video, but that's very likely to only exacerbate whatever "graininess" you're already seeing. Even so, the resulting up-scaled data file would be HUGE; as is, the concert video exceeds 5GB without any modifications. How would you transport it ? What media besides BluRay HD could you usefully record it onto ? I don't know anyone (outside of video production houses) that can record onto BluRay HD media in their homes as yet. And if you can routinely download well over a dozen GB of data via torrent, well ... good for you, but personally think that's borderline insane, myself.