View Single Post
Old 04-15-2022, 11:32 PM

Scruffydog777 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl View Post
I have sometimes wondered why people in certain parts of the world consider Alizée's version of La Isla Bonita to be better than Madonna's original "official" La Isla Bonita video. I've always considered a video that tells a story to be far superior to a video that just shows someone singing a song, but Madonna seemed to make a big mistake with this video.

For much of the video--about 50 seconds--there are garbage cans in the background. Who wants to see garbage cans in a video? Isn't there a better way to convey poverty without looking at that?

At another point, the number of a building is 1313. That's a number that has some superstitious significance. It may have had some significance in the video, but it is still a number that bothers a lot of people.

So, I think it's easy to see why many people worldwide might prefer Alizée's version to Madonna's.

That's a pretty cool observation. Both of the "audio" versions of this song, Madonna's and Alizée's are great versions. Maybe some people have only seen Alizée's version of the video and for that reason, prefer hers, but I have to agree with you that even though the original video was by the "Madonna" and had the advantage of being a story, rather than a performance, they did make a huge mistake in the scenery of the video. Like you said, wasn't there a better way to convey the message that this was taking place in a poor neighborhood?