View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Last Fan Standing

Ray4AJ is on a distinguished road

More disconnected thoughts from Ray follow.... Today marks six months since my discovery of Alizée. In that time I've been bombarded with 12 years of information, music, and video of her performing, interviews, and via Instagram, a few bits of her current private world. I discover new things everyday. Sometimes I feel like I'm observing several different people instead of one Alizée. I know that they are all the same person of course. There is a definite distinction between the era that ended at the end of the 03/04 concert tour and the one that emerged when Psychédélices was released. Then slightly different for UEDS. Now? It still feels somewhat UEDS to me. I feel that inside she's the same person across all these eras. Something inside her that has affected many fans in many ways.

Most of the time for me I regard her in the present. Doing her thing like everyone else. I've had a few different eras of my own, boring for sure, and at the time they may have seemed important and interesting, but after 'being there, doing that' I may have tired of things or found new things that were 'important.' I can remember back to highlights from the past, but mostly I think we all live our lives in the present. We learn from the past, things such as likes and dislikes, and apply that to the future. Most people's goals and plans change and I don't figure Alizée to be any different. I don't expect her to do anything that she's done before just because she did it. I expect her to do what's important to her now even though that could change. I don't think she could forget the Mylene era, but she learned from it and moved on. Been there, done that.

I still have no idea what this 'being-a-fan' stuff is about. It's a new adventure for me. I tend to want to let her just do her own thing.

As far as the thread's title topic goes....When I first heard about Alizée I went to Youtube and most of what's there is the younger Alizée. But the sense of who she is was somehow evident. I really liked hearing her sing the songs. Then I found out about the later two albums and while I didn't get right into them I have since. Her past is preserved on the internet for all to see. I don't ignore it but look to the future.

Well, I'd hoped trying to write this would help me, but I'm still confused...