View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 AM
Take me to Lilly Town

Taxi Driver Aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
-For 5.56 I use what the military does. M855 ball ammo. I also reload for the same rifle 75gr BTHP for more precision shooting.
-For .30-30, I use Federal 150gr, though I may start reloading that instead.
-.308 I load 168gr Sierra Match Kings
-.303 I load 174gr Hornady, but I also shoot Remington UMC if I didn't load any.
-.22 I shoot CCI Mini-Mags. I heard those run best through most semi-auto .22's especially mine.

If you really can't find cheap .223's near you (I don't know why that is as it's one of the more readily available round) just go to cheaperthandirt.com and buy it in bulk. They usually have some good deals going.

Plus there is always Wal-Mart. They usually have some decent ammo prices for decent ammo like Federal.
No, they have cheap .223's where I live... i just live so far away from town that it's an hour drive... I might as well just order off the internet... I only buy when I'm in town.

I've never used Hornady, but I've had some mixed reviews from friends that use it. Some love it and then others claim stories that I am still calling bullshit...

One friend said that his friend... (yes... now making it a friend of a friend story).. is a police officer and when the evidence came back from a shooting investigation, the defendant was using Hornady ammunition and they questioned whether or not he was shooting in self defense based on the type of ammunition he was carrying.

Like I said, though, I think the story is bullshit. I don't think that the brand is what matters, much more than the style of bullet. which could have been any brand. If the guy used a FMJ instead of a JHP and the prosecution could prove that he knew the difference and chose one over the other in hopes of making the person bleed out more... then I suppose there is a case... but I mean.. that is a really far-fetched story.. but my friends say that when it comes to a murder trial... the prosecution will do everything they can to use the type of ammunition you were carrying against you. And if you could have used a JHP but instead used a FMJ round and knew the difference... you could get into serious trouble. It's not likely... but it's still a possibility. I don't think it's anything to worry about... but it does make me wonder about the differences and the best ones to use.